sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

While driving down the road the engine shut off, pumped the

Customer Question

While driving down the road the engine shut off, pumped the peddle, nothing, down shifted to 4th gear and engine came back to life. The check engine light came on and this repeated once more. Drove another 40 miles home without further incident, however check engine light remains on.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1999 Ram 2500 Diesel
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet, I was going to check to see if I could get it to show me a code switching the ignition off/on 3 times
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have noticed some slight surging, but discounted it to maybe new tires, road, wind etc..
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that will cause what you're describing such as the injector pump or crank sensor. The engine light came on because the ECM saw a failure and set a fault code, the first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what codes have set. Have you been able to read codes from the ECM yet?