Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Cant really tell. But looks like either diesel or power

Customer Question

cant really tell. But looks like either diesel or power steering fluid leaking from left side of engine. The fluid seems to be accumulating on front drive shaft and around torqe converter inspection plate.
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?
Customer: Yes all is at the full mark. The vehicle is a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie cummins 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I recently replaced the fuel filter, Hydroboost, PS pump, and resealed the the pump
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 99 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie Cummins
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The fluid leak does not appear to be engine oil but looks and smells like diesel or poer steering fluid.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I suggest you smell a little diesel fuel and power steering fluid and compare each to what is leaking. Diesel fuel has a distinct smell and no matter how close to power steering fluid it may be, I believe you should still be able to tell the difference. If not, get a second opinion and have someone else compare them smells.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.