Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I just rplaced my throttle body on my 04 dodge hemi and the

Customer Question
lightning bolt is still on...
I just rplaced my throttle body on my 04 dodge hemi and the lightning bolt is still on. Even disconnected thr battery cable and turned on the ignition. Nothing. I have zero acceleration.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: Just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter last year. Had a piece break off while installing new fuel pump/fuel filter. But haven't checked the tranny.
JA: What year is your Lightning?
Customer: 04
JA: Are you fixing your Lightning yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the throttle body today. It's an 04 Dodge 1500 ram 5.7 hemi
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. That's about it. Just want to know why I have list acceleration. Lost acceleration.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
10/29/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Disconnect both battery cables (positive and negative) and clamp or use a jumper wire to hold them together, turn key to on position and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then turn ignition off and remove key, reconnect battery cables at a time, positive first then negative. This should reset the system.

There is also a recalibration procedure after replacing the throttle body.

If the throttle body has been changed, the following procedure must be performed:

1. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery. Leave cable disconnected for approximately 90 seconds.
  2. Reconnect cable to battery.
  3. Turn ignition switch ON, but do not crank engine.
  4. Leave ignition switch ON for a minimum of 10 seconds. This will allow PCM to learn throttle body electrical parameters.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long do I disconnect the positive and negative on the battery?

If lightning bolt is still on you need a scan tool to get the codes and let me know what you have.

10 minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did the disconnect for the 90 seconds and left the ignition on fir 10 seconds. Started and the lightning bolt was still there. I will do what you suggested and disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then leave the ignition on for 10 mins. Hopefully that will work.

Do you have a code reader?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No.

You need codes to diagnose, could be a problem in the wiring harness of the engine computer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. If what all you've told me doesn't work, what should I do next?

This question will be open for 7 days before it times out, once you have the codes I will be able to help you diagnose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

Your welcome.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician