Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have to turn the key off and on to get the wait to start

Customer Question
light to come on else...
I have to turn the key off and on to get the wait to start light to come on else it will crank but not start 1999 24 valve
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: the detents in the switch feel sollid the steering unlocks when in the on position
JA: What is the model of your '99 Dodge?
Customer: 2500 24 valve
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I plan to, just looking for a place to start with troubleshooting
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is an intermittant failure the truck works fine 85% of the time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 day by:
10/28/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Ric, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ric
Ric, ASE Certified Technician

Good evening......My name Is ***** ***** i can help you with your issue. The wait to start light is controlled by the ECM on the drivers side of the engine in the middle. Remove the connector and inspect the connector and the ECM pins for any sign of corrosion or water intrusion or excess grease. If any of these are found you can clean the plug and pins with electrical contact cleaner (sold at most parts stores). If not then reconnect the plug to the ECM....Make sure its tight but not over tight. If the condition persists the the ECM would need to be replaced. It is a hardware issue in the ECM....Ric

Good evening......How are you doing? Do you need anymore information? I am here to help. If you are satisfied with my assistance please be sure to rate my service when you get a chance...Thanx...Ric

Jerry, Master Mechanic