Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Fgnn, yo 05 neon chip key.. security light stuck on no crank

Customer Question

fgnn
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: yo 05 neon chip key.. security light stuck on no crank no clicks from relays and code readers dont work
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: solid. and the thing i saw about reseting securty said to leave key on for one hour that didnt work after hour and half
JA: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes myself. and the deal with not being able to use a code reader on it made me think the computer was bad so i got a new one from a company that programs your vin and milage on them and nothing changed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: bought it not running and basically know nothing else about the car other than what i have given
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the alarm module in the vehicle.
is it the module, the receiver, hood switch , door switch, wiring etc.. , it could be number of reasons & there is not a fuse or a relay that you can pull out to disconnect it unfortunately

BUT try this Reset below & see if that will wake up the module exit , but if a failure exist it want work and have to know what causing it

and the Dealer scanner you can read the antitheft module, the engine code read can only read engine codes want help you

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
did this already sorry may not have provided that info.. nothing changed either. i should mention i dont have the tools you mentioned what i do have a simple code reader i rent from autozone when i need it. im just a shade tree self taught im trying to attempt all i can before giving up sending to the dealer which i hope would only be a reset of my theft system which appears to have me "locked out".
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
got anything else for me?

no ,there is no fuse or relay to pull out to deactivate unfortunately

you will need a scan , PCM common problem on neon or the Key

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yeah i get it hard to bypass im not trying to do that either. i guess my focus is trying to find out why i cant seem to get out of "lock out" with the procedure that is supposed to work and also why my brand new AND programmed ecm wont communicate with the code reader. also the key dance wont work (on off on off on off on).

usually if you have new ecm & you bought it to fix the problem and did not , it will be a short in the wiring harness or a loose ground .

it could be anywhere in harness, you have to pin out the ecm

are you getting power on OBDII plug .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yeah good point i should do that tomorrow. ok last question before i suspend this for the night. is it normal when "locked out" to not get any relay clicks when fooling with ignition? in my head i think i should get something right its not often the computer takes everything out fuel and spark. i dont hear fuel relay or prime, i dont hear ignition relay, nothing.

no you want hear anything , if the ecm not communicating & you can not read it , then that means the other modules can not neither .

I will do my best to help you , go over all ground points from engine to frame

and inspect the ECM electrical connector for any backed out pins making poor connection , unplug it and spray contact electrical cleaner between the ecm and the connector

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation. you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok atleast i know now that i shouldnt be getting relays to click im going to try find my breaks and clean grounds tomorrow. i appreciate the help i did learn some things that help me get in the right direction.

ok sounds good

Please Don't forget To Rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated :)

I m online daily from 10 am till late , if you need anything else on it while testing , circuit diagram, part locations etc.. just reply back here and I will get it and send it to you if i have it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yo i hope this doesnt annoy you but i thought you would like to know the conclusion could be useful info. so poked around alot with cleaning grounds some wire repair but what it ended up being was a blown asd 20amp fuse. i must have only half ass checked the fuses. but anyway that little guy made my obd2 port not work, triggered the security system light (as if locked out), and obviously cut spark and fuel (the reason i didnt hear any relays). thanks again for the help

you are very welcome Nick , that is good news

in case that fuse blows again , then we have ecm issue or wiring from obdII to ecm

hopefully it want blow again and you will be good to go :)

and i appreciate you telling me

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician