Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Was advised to change the oxygen sensors in an effort to…

Was advised to change...

Was advised to change the oxygen sensors in an effort to improve fuel economy, I changed all 4 sensors and the truck now runs terrible doesn't seem to have the same power as before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2005 dodge ram 1500 SLT 4.7L*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

185K miles truck was running excellent just was told that the sensors had probably never been changed and that this would definitely improve my fuel milage

10/22/2016
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** did you get the new sensors?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Auto zone

were they BOSCH sensors?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the sensors were bosh
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The truck has a strong odor around it like it is running very rich

we see alot of problems with the Bosch o2 sensors, we only use the factory chrysler sensors in these, if it waqs running fine until you swapped the sensors, then you have bad sensor, Tim

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to put the old ones back on and drive it and see how it does. Thanks for your advice and information

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, after rating me, you can come back to this question at anytime and ask follw up questions at no charge,Thanks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put in the old ones back in and the problem went away. I have ordered the oe sensors that you mentioned and will change those on arrival. My present fuel mileage is 14.2 which I think is low. I was only attempting to increase my fuel mileage hoping to get close to 17 or maybe 18. I appreciate your help very much.

Anytime my friend,Tim