Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum V6 with 118,450 miles and regular

Customer Question
Hello - I have a...
Hello - I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum V6 with 118,450 miles and regular oil change maintenance but no tune up that I know of in recent years; 2nd owner purchased in 2009 with no major issues. Last night after having driven it about 30-45 minutes with no problems and it only being parked about 15 minutes, I started it and put in reverse, it stalled on me. I put it in park, cranked again & acted like it wasn't fully getting fuel to the engine (kind of missing). I backed out of the driveway, made it about 200ft to the stop sign & check engine light came on. Cut the car off and restarted again with same issue. Drove about 10 miles to the nearest Autozone for them to put their computer code reader on it. The only code that came up was P0300 Random Cylinder Misfires. They said I need to change ignition coils (all 6 of them since it wasn't telling me which one was bad) and suggested new plugs while I'm at it. Took a few doors down to O'Reilly Autoparts for 2nd opinion computer read. It gave same code plus an additional P1798 Deteriorated Transmission Fluid code. O'Reilly said to remedy the P0300 code I would need an Electronic Spark Control Module which they don't carry & could only be gotten through Dodge. Went home & decided to have my brother-in-law look at it today. This morning, it started up fine with no problems but check engine light was still on. While driving it to his house, the Electronic Throttle Control light came on. About 5 miles out, noticed smoke coming from under the hood, but the temp gauge was sitting on "C". He looked under hood and said it appears to be some staining and wetness at front area of motor, possibly a coolant leak. He suggested not to drive it until I put a gallon of coolant in it to then get it to a mechanic that is familiar with newer cars with electronic systems. (My dad said to just put water and not waste my $ on coolant since it's going to leak out anyway.) Any thoughts? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
10/20/2016
Dodge Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

could you see any coolant leaking out or spraying from anywhere

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think he did (I wasn't there). He did say it was reddish/pink and wet at the front edge of the motor, so it was fresh. Said also if it had sprayed/sputtered out, it could have gotten onto the ignition coils and/or spark plugs causing a short to give me the misfire code.

if it was redish pink then it is trans mission fluid if its coming from the front of the motor sounds like one og the transmission cooler lines on the radiator busted and yes if it got the coils wet I cold get the misfire code if you need anything else please let me know and be sure to rate my service when you get th chance

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much! I have a mechanic going to look at it today or tomorrow and will let you know if that was the issue.

your welcome just let me know please rate my service when you get the chance and you can message me if you need anything else

cloe0626
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic