Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 just installed new engine and i turn

the key nothing happens. dont...
2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 just installed new engine and i turn the key nothing happens. dont even hear the starter solenoid click. when i by pass the ignition and wire the starter signal right to power it cranks over. cant get it to crank with the key though.
10/19/2016
topdogpeter

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. I ill need to ask some questions to get a picture how to help you.Are you jumping the starter right at the starter or the relay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the relay

thanx for that info.now did you check if you have ignition power to that relay when turning the key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
terminal 86 got 11.6 volts with key in start position.

11.6 volts on a 12v battery? wonder if battery would pass a load test. well if your getting votage at the relay from ignition and you can start it by jumping the terminals at the relay then I would try another starter relay. If you have one in the fuse block that is the same you can switch one just to try and confirm it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
relay is good. i have tried switching it out with every other relay just to make sure. battery was at 12.2 v although not sure if it would pass load test. it is a 6 year old interstate battery but always served me good.

Aw you just may have solved it. do you have or can get a load tester? what you can do is put your connectors from your volt meter across the battery terminals and read the votage when you try to start it. tell me what you get. Also turn on your dome lamp when you try to turn it over and see how low it goes.Let me know your findings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
while ignition is in start position battery voltage dropped to 11.89volts. i can bring it to the nearest dealer and have it tested right away.

If that battery is 6 yrs old I wouldn't play around with it replace that first then see what we have .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
had my battery tested it turned out to be bad. bought a new battery and it still doesn't crank. battery voltage was at 12.4v. with key in start position battery voltage dropped to 12.3 v, and terminal 86 of the starter relay shows 12.3 v.

thanx for that info but all is not lost as the battery was in need of replacing. next we need to do a starter draw test to see if the starter is drawing what it should . A high draw would indicate a short within the starter a low draw would indicate a bad or loose connection. do any of the heavy cables heat up if you hold the key to start?

I s this an automatic or standard transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Auto transmission. So I had an idea that seemed to work temporarily I wrapped a wire around terminal 85 for starter relay and put the relay in and put the other end of the wire to ground. It starts with the key now and runs. Temporary fix but not sure what that problem is ?

sounds like a loose or bad connecter. try putting a twist on the spade end of the relay.

topdogpeter
topdogpeter
topdogpeter
topdogpeter