Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

The gear selector display flickers and when the headlights

are on the dash lights...
The gear selector display flickers and when the headlights are on the dash lights flicker. Doesn't matter whether the engine is revved or not. Also the headlight blink when I step on the brakes. I measured the voltage on the battery with the engine off and it measures 12.5 volts and with the engine idling reads 13.87 and isn't constant. It varies from 13.5 to 14.3V.
10/19/2016
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

if you measure again on the battery with car running and all loads on a/c , headlights , radio , flasher etc... , what do you get then

still 13.87 or it drops ?

lets start here

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chad,
I measured the voltage on the battery before I started 12.48 V. Its been sitting over night. I started it with out any loads idling at 1000 rpm it measured 12.98 - 13.12 V. With radio, A/C, headlights on idling at 700 RPM measured 13.2 - 13.31 V.
After I ran it for few minutes it stayed at those values. Note: the voltmeter runs up and down scale between the values I am quoting here. It hit 13.81 V a couple of time. Probably due to the differences in refresh on the meter. Turned car off and measured battery voltage at 12.56 V. The Flickering didn't change from load to no-load conditions. Always happening. It's like the alternator is producing the flickering, but by revving the engine it should go away...right?
Shouldn't the voltage from the alternator be somewhat constant?

yes it should be constant to a point give , like 14 , 14.3 , 14 .5 but has to be above 14 volts not below, that is low , we need to see 14 volts plus when running

I say change The alternator , you have weak alternator .

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chad,
I replaced the alternator and shined up all of the connectors on the battery. When I run the engine with or with loads (A/C, radio, Lights) the voltmeter reads 13.71-13.75V. The display on the gear selector is steady. But I don't think I can get it to 14 V. I am reading the voltage on the battery. Is there anything else to try? The battery is new (2 months). And when I hook up a battery charger it shoes that the battery is fully charged.

hey how are you

i just signed in for the day

ok no problem so 13.75 v is max

do we still have the flickering , did it happen again ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chad,
I just drove the vehicle across town and back (50 miles). And the gear shift selector didn't flicker every time I looked at it.
If 14 Volts is not an absolute value. We might can say it's fixed.
I saw somewhere that the small ground wire that is with the battery ground cable goes to the module cluster and may be corroded. Is this a likely thing to check?

yes i have ran into that once on the wire for cluster but rare at least in my case ,it is not that hard to pull cluster off on this one to inspect

but i agree if it is not broke don't fix it , if no flickering , keep checking few days and if good let it go the 13.7 volts is close enough

If you need anything else just let me know

please don't forget to rate me before You exit since that is how we get compensated :)

Good luck to you :)

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat