Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a 1983 dodge ramcharger that I just replace the

Customer Question

I have a 1983 dodge ramcharger that I just replace the engine in with a freshly built 360. When I put the truck in reverse, it will spit, sputter , and buck and then usually die. I put it in drive and it spits and sputters until the rpms come up around 2000 and it runs better but still not great. It has a tf 727 and everything worked fine until I changed the engine and now it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd. The only thing I did to the trans was fluid change and filter and front seal replacement. The engine has a high rise single plane aluminum intake and a Holley 600 cfm carb. It came complete from oil pan to carb, and ROM water pump to the distributor. Original distributor is a dual pickup and the new distributor is a single pickup. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Terry,

Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing light?

Have you adjusted the carburettor correctly?

Can you give some more detail of the engine, compression ratio, camshaft specs etc?

Holley 600 vac sec or double pumper, list number?

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Terry,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary