Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Stalls when trying to gas on. While driving. 1994 dodge

stalls when trying to gas...
stalls when trying to gas on
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: yes, while driving
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 1994 dodge dakota ext slt
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: son says he has a code 55, we've replaced o2 sensor and throttle body? sensor
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it's like you have to have brake on and use gas to keep it running
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: if you take foot off the gas while driving it stalls
10/17/2016
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Code 55 just means end of test so if nothing else came up then there are no codes currently setting.

It sounds as if the engine simply won't idle but runs ok if you keep it running with the throttle. If that's the case then the issue is related to the idle air control motor. The IAC may be bad, there may be a carbon buildup issue, or low battery voltage may be corrupting the powertrain control module's memory for the IAC.

Does it crank slow or need to be jump started?

sprinkles08
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, my email was out. It cranks and starts fine it stalls when you take foot off gas when stopping.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08