Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad. I drove home for lunch,

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad. I drove home for lunch, got back in the truck turned the key, nothing. The red light was blinking (anti theft/security). I don't have a fob and I used the same key as when I drove it home. What is causing this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

I don't have a fob, never had one.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to determine if I have to take it in and spend $300 on something that could be fixed by disconnecting the battery or something else simple.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/11/2016
Dodge Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David. do you have another key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think so, but I used the same key I used to drive it to my house.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why would the key I used within 15 minutes not work.?

if the security light is on when cranking with that key, it may be just worn down enough its causing issues

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I can't find my spare key, what then?

let me see if i can see if there is a reset procedure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
awaiting your response. Thanks

try this....You reset the "anti-theft" alarm by inserting the ignition key in the outside driver door lock, turn the key to lock, then turn the key to unlock.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. I will try that when I get back to the house. I had to use our farm truck to get back to the office.

ok

any luck?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Husband cleaned battery post and it works!

excellent. sometimes the easiest thing to do is the best. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my help. thank you and have a great day!!