Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

How do I sign in

Customer Question
how do I sign in
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
10/8/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 1 year ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

If you were able to post a question, you are signed in...

Has the vehicle been scanned for codes yet? if not , The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can rent a code reader for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you not see WILL NOT CRANK? Should I ask Autozone to make a house call?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What day can I expect an answer?

you didn't mention that it won't crank. You just stated that it won't start. Cranking is the actual action of "turning over" the engine. Your question does state that it is turning over. Does it actually turn over and not start or does it not crank at all??

You stated: "Should I ask Autozone to make a house call?"

No, I was stating that you can RENT a code reader at AutoZone, meaning they will let you take it home and use it to scan your vehicle...

Let me know if you can do this and we can go from there..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car turns over but it is not firing. I checked the 40amp ignition fuse, changed distributor, replaced fuel pump, spark plugs. I can not take the car to Oreilly or auto zone. What's next to do? Would the car even turn over if the timing was off?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I am not satisfied and will be requesting a refund. You guys have gotten too large. I requested a phone call. What happened? No worries just not satisfied

Hello, Sorry for the delayed response. Was offline yesterday evening...

Unfortunately, I am not in a location where I can complete a phone request. Any other expert can chime in on a phone call if they can. I have no problems with another expert helping you also...

It would have been much easier to figure out this problem if you were able to obtain a code reader from AutoZone. They have a FREE tool loan program in which they would lend you the code reader and they only require a "Refundable Deposit" which they take to cover the cost of the tool in case you don't return it.

Since you don't have access to that luxury we can continue trying to figure it out but keep in mind that it will likely take longer as we will need to run some tests in which to narrow down the problem.

With this type of help a phone call would really not help. With a phone call service, we would only be able to help with generalized answers to a list of possibilities. Doing this online, I can post some necessary info that you can come back to read or download as necessary so that you can print it out and take to the vehicle with you. Also, it is much easier for us to communicate back and forth as necessary until you get this diagnosed. Hopefully you have access to basic hand tools and a multimeter and test light to do some electrical testing. With a phone call, it is a "one time" call that lasts no longer than 15 minutes. This is why I really recommend an online conversation over a phone conversation...

Now back to the question. There are a few questions that I need you to answer for me so that I can have a better idea as to what diagnostic route to take....

1 - Have you checked for fuel pressure after the replacement of the fuel pump. Are you certain that the engine is receiving fuel and at the proper fuel pressure, 50 psi?

2 - Have you checked for spark getting to the spark plugs?

3 - Have you verified that the Timing Belt is good and that the timing has not skipped a tooth or two?

You stated that you replaced the "Distributor". The 3.5 does not have a distributor so I need to verify what has been replaced. I'm assuming you replaced the "Coil Pack" which is the square component that the spark plug wires are all connected to . Is this assumption correct?

You stated: "What's next to do? Would the car even turn over if the timing was off?"

If the timing belt was broken or damaged, YES, the vehicle will STILL crank (turn over), it just would not Start. I will determine what the next step once I hear from you with the answers to the questions I posted above...

I'm sorry that you are not satisfied. Hopefully from this point on, I will be able to help you get this solved and change the way you are feeling... also, sorry about the phone request and please let me know if you want to continue with the "Step By Step" Help with your diagnostic procedure....

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since I have to go into this project and check all things including resetting the timing there really no answer that you can offer. Keep the five dollar deposit but do not debit my account
Thanks Ron Griffin

For any issues about billing and payment, please contact Customer Support at***@******.***. They will take care of any issue you have with billing, payment, your subscription, etc. - As an Expert, I only provide advice on technical matters in my field(s) of specialization.

Thank you,

Robert

Jerry, Master Mechanic