Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Have a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with Cranking but no start

Customer Question
6.7L Diesel The TIPM has no...
Have a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with Cranking but no start 6.7L Diesel
The TIPM has no power to the fuel pump, but have jumped this and still no start need help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
10/7/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there.

Sounds like the anti-theft immobilizer is acting up. Is the security indicator warning light on the cluster? If so, do you have another key you can try?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried both Keys no codes or anything all systems seem fine the in tank fuel pump relay is bad and have jumped this in the TIPM but truck will still run without the lift pump and have also replace the injector pump
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you familiar with the 6.7L Diesel

Yes, I am. When you say no codes, do you have access to a wiTECH or equivalent scan tool so we could look at engine data and find out what is preventing the engine from starting? Will it start on starting fluid? If yes, will it keep running once it has started?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a Snap On Modis Edge
And No It will run on Starting fluid but when you stop spraying it will die

OK. What if you fill the filter assembly? Will it start and run until the fuel is depleted? If so, can you rig a steady fuel supply to the filter? If so, and the engine starts and runs, then we need to look at why that transfer pump is not doing its job.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The filter Assembly is filling fine and is full, I am getting 30 psi from the lift pump

So, even though the filter assembly is full and lift pump is working OK, fuel is still not getting from the filter to the injection pump?

Can your scan tool display actual fuel pressures?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuel is getting from the filter to the injection pump,
Like I said I just put a brand new one on because I thought that was the problem after I did I left the line off and verified fuel came jetting out
and Scan tool is saying 150 Psi At cranking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The ECM is requesting 5830 at cranking
but something is wrong because the I was getting 150 Psi before I replaced the injection pump

That sounds more like it. So, what might be happening is that fuel pressure is not getting to the rail. The computer opens or closes the FCA to meet whatever the demand is, in this case that demand is 5830 psi. So we need to know what the computer is doing with that FCA. Can your scan tool display that data? - could be displayed at percentage of duty cycle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brand new FCA that came with new pump and also when the FCA is unplugged the pump reverts to 26000 psi which we are not getting that pressure

Better yet can you force the FCA open with your scan tool and see what kind of pressure we get then?

I think I typed my response a little too late. Are you saying that with the FCA disconnected we are getting default pressure and still the engine won't run or that default pressure is just being displayed but actually not true?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No what I'm trying to say is that when you disconnect the FCA on the injection pump the pressure is supposed to go to 26,000 PSI but when I disconnected the FCA it still says 150 at pressure is supposed to go to 26,000 PSI but when I disconnected the FCA it still says 150 at break cranking

OK. Let's put those readings aside for a moment. Can you force the FCA open with your scan tool and see if the engine will start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not at the moment no I'm not in front of the truck I will be tomorrow morning

Ahh... In that case I will opt out and let others help you as I don't log on weekends - wife calls it "her time" ;-)

Please don't respond until another expert responds or the site will cycle this back to me and I won't see it until next Monday.

Best Regards.

Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician