Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I just replaced all of the brake lines, then started to

Customer Question
bleed it. I got...
I just replaced all of the brake lines, then started to bleed it. I got the front driver side bled, then moved to the passenger front. Now the pedal goes all the way down with no resistence even when all valves are closed, so I can't continue bleeding. Any ideas why it would do that?
JA: Have you checked the fluid? How old are the brakes?
Customer: Fluid ran low, but I refilled it, still have the problem
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2002 dodge dakota
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
10/5/2016
Dodge Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Did you start with gravity bleeding the brakes first? You should start at the right rear and work your way up to the front drivers side. Then this will let most of the air out of the system so you can pedal bleed the system with the engine not running.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately, I did it wrong by running the engine and doing the pedal bleed first. I finished one wheel, but by the next one the pedal started dropping to the floor. I went back and finished bleeding the brakes with the engine off, pulled the positive battery cable, and then reattached and started engine. The brake has back pressure when the engine is off, but still goes to the floor when the engine is running. Any ideas?

Go back over it and gravity bleed the system first. Make sure to keep brake fluid in the master cylinder. Then you can pedal bleed the system. Make sure your helper pump the pedal 5 times and holds the pedal down and then open the bleeder. Make sure your helper holds the pedal down till you have to opened and closed the bleeder. Then have them pump it up again so you can keep bleeding the system. Do this from the rr, lr, rf and then the lf. You have to still have air in the system if the pedal is not full even with the engine running.

Did you get your brakes to work?

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech