Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My sprinter has been having what I thought are tranny

Hi my sprinter has been...
Hi my sprinter has been having what I thought are tranny problems. I got a new conductor plate thinking that would solver the problem but no. Basically I will be driving and it won't shift and u loose power. If I turn the van off and turn it back on it works ok. I was told that my egr is leaking fluid. The water in fuel indicator is also stuck on even though everything has been checked and no codes are popping. I one time had a loss of power that was indicated but that code has not come back I did replace the alternator about 6 months ago. Any ideas?
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it? What year is your Sprinter?
Customer: Dark like fuel
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to a Mercedes mechanic and he has been looking at it for me
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just help
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2016
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post a list of all "P Codes" that were retrieved recently? If I have a code list to go from I should be able to come up with a solution to get this figured out...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is the problem no codes are coming up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got a code months ago before I put in the new alternator and conductor plate. Nothing since then
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked up the egr valve and saw it can cause weird tranny symptoms so I am wondering if that is it. Problem is I have 289k on my girl and I am wondering if this is just it. If I could nail it down I would fix it as I love this van
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just drove from San Fran to San Diego. Shifting acted up so I pulled over and turned it on and off and then no problems. Driving me and my me mechanic nuts

If the code keeps coming up for EGR valve, repair that concern and it should solve the shifting issue. Failed EGR Valve will cause the ECM to go into Limp Mode and will cause limited speed and shifting concerns to arise.

If the EGR valve has never been replaced then most likely it is the EGR valve itself that is faulty and needs replacement..

If you post all codes that come on here, I'll be able to confirm this and also any other possibilities for this problem..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No code for the egr has come up but it is leaking and my mechanic said he thought it looked faulty. I can shift it manually
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also seems to drive great, then has a problem shifting and if u turn it on and off all good again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you still think egr?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just confirming as no egr code ever came up but it is leaking on the belts and has 289k on it.

Have you scanned it recently? If so, post all codes that were retrieved. If it hasn't been scanned, The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got it scanned on Friday and nothing came up. I drove it there limping and it still didn't have any codes. They ran a diagnosis and zero codes

Where did you take it to have it scanned? If it is in limp mode it is 100% certain that there will be codes stored in some module. If an incompatible scanner or code reader is being used you will not be successful in retrieving codes. Do you know the make and model of the scanner or code reader that was used?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took it to a Mercedes shop I have been going to forever. It was not in full limp. It was not shifting going slow

What model year is your Sprinter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2002 2500

EGR valve is going to still be on the top of the list with this model year, next would be a small split on one of the intercooler hoses or a leak in the Intercooler assembly. I have also seen a "Dusted" or "Sandblasted" turbocharger cause similar issues.

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will take it back in and have them look at the issues you mentioned. Thanks

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master