Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My 1991 Dodge Dakota quit on the highway and won't start.

Customer Question
The dash lights and radio...
My 1991 Dodge Dakota quit on the highway and won't start. The dash lights and radio won't come on and when you try to start it there is nothing.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had the battery and alternator checked and they passed.I tightened the wires to the battery and made sure the battery wires were tight.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
10/3/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Does the engine crank over and not start or does it not crank over at all?

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I turn the key and nothing happens. The vin # is 1B7FL26X4MS251616

Do the headlights come on? What about the dome lights?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the headlights and the dome light comes on. The blower motor won't come on either.

So it sounds like an electrical issue correct? Is the battery voltage low?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No It checked in at 83%

Ok, good! Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

It sounds like the computer is not awake. Have you checked all fuses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it doesn't look like any are blown

Ok, would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I have a hard time hearing over the phone

NO problem.

You are going to need to check the inputs and outputs of the ignition switch with the key on. You could be missing a power into the ignition switch, the ignition switch could be bad or there is an issue after the ignition switch. You will find out once you check this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is it and how do I find it

The ignition switch is on the steering column where you insert the ignition key. You would use a voltmeter to check for power going in and out of the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a voltmeter so I will probably have to have someone look at it.

Or you could use a test light.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't have one of those either.

OK

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will talk to a mechanic here and tell him what you have diagnosed and will let you know what the problem ends up being.

I have not diagnosed anything because your not able to test anything because of the lack of tools.

But yes, I would be interested in hearing the root cause.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I can find a voltmeter I will let you know and then continue this discussion.

Sounds good

Jerry, Master Mechanic