Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My diesel 6.7 truck cycles off and on when it warms up

Customer Question
almost as if the power...
my diesel 6.7 truck cycles off and on when it warms up almost as if the power was flickering off and on
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
9/30/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 1 year ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is this an idle fluctuation up and down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it happens on idle to some extent but it stalls Un less I throthe it than it cycles a lot more

You said it had a code for turbo speed sensor. What was the actual "P Code" that is being set?

From your explanation, it sounds like you may have a stuck turbocharger or a plugged DPF.

What do you do to get the problem to go away? Does it go away after the engine has warmed up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2579 is the code I got which indicated that the turbo speed sensor is acting up I replaced it to no avail also checked old sensor it checked out ok. the input voltage of about 2.5v going to sensor have not found out if this is ok maybe you can enlighten me on this. the problem becomes apparent when the motor warms up.

Ok, there are a couple other possibilities for the P2579 other than the Turbo Speed sensor. I'm posting the diagnostic procedures for this code. if you need additional info don't hesitate to ask..

P2579 Diagnostic procedure --->> Click Here to view <<---

Run the diagnostic procedure and post back the results..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would this possibly cause the engine to cycle?

The most common causes for engine to be cycling is a plugged DPF (Exhaust Filter) or a Stuck Turbocharger Sliding Nozzle. Usually you would have other codes such as p1451 and p242f and also p2262 or p2563.

At this time I recommend to diagnose for the code that is coming up and get this code to stay cleared and it should solve your problem...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no those codes did not come up only 2579 and 2580

A sticking sliding nozzle in the turbo could cause these codes depending on what position the nozzle is sticking at. When it sticks closed, it usually limits engine rpm as the engine is having a hard time expelling the exhaust gasses. This causes the idle cycling or fluctuation and limited max rpm and possible smoke depending on the condition of the DPF. Most likely you will end up needing to replace the complete turbocharger assembly...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just checking 1 more time what is the voltage going to the speed sensor I presently have 2.44 volts is that correct? I have been told it should be 5v have not been able to confirm.

The Turbo Speed Sensor generates it's own signal --->> Click Here to view <<--- Because of this, there probably should not be any voltage present on the Turbo Speed Sensor wires. There is no published info as to if there should be voltage present. See the diagnostic procedure I posted above for the Proper testing procedure. It never has you checking voltage it just has you testing the sensor itself and checking the wires, If all that is ok then the ECM is assumed faulty and will need to be replaced....

Thank you,

Robert

Best thing to do would be to disconnect the sensor and the ECM C1 connector and check if voltage is still present, If there is, Further testing will be required to see where the short to voltage is at. Otherwise, test the wires per the test procedure above and you should be able to easily narrow down the culprit....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Another possibility per the possibilities section in the flowchart is the Boost Pressure Sensor (AKA MAP Sensor). Unfortunately, the diagnostic procedure never leads to this sensor as a result so you may find that just replacing the Boost Pressure Sensor may fix this issue...

Thank you,

Robert

Here is the P2580 Chart, it may help for diagnostic purposes..

--->> Click Here to view <<---

I found a star case for this code also

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master