Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

With no warning the van will shut down and steering locked

Customer Question
can't get it out of...
With no warning the van will shut down and steering locked can't get it out of gear can't get it started for 3 to 5 minutes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Did you have it scanned with a factory scanner or equivalent retrieve fault codes ?

What have you done so far to iyt .

most common cause will be

1- ckp sensor

2- cam sensor

3- wiring to & from PCM

4-PCM itself. it is a known issue

but testing is needed to confirm or at least narrow down

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The starter was recalled and change the problem started after that happened I don't know if it's something else or not
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be the EGR valve

if it is an egr issue , you will have a lack of power , rough idle , is the check engine light on ?

or it is just shutting down while cruising down the road , you pull over , cycle ignition switch or wait and starts right back up ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No check engine light just going down the road shuts down can't pull over cause the steering locks gears lock

these are the areas needs checking

1- ckp sensor

2- cam sensor

3- wiring to & from PCM

using a Chrysler scanner you can run a test & all these parts , that will be needed at this time to confirm .

there is not a one answer for the issue with out testing or you will be just throwing parts at it .

the 2 sensors are fairly cheap and inexpensive & they are know FOR NOT THROWING A CODE/CHECK ENGINE LIGHT & causing that issue.

at higher mileage van & usually those sensors been replaced by that time , the PCM will require replacement or rebuild .

Please let me know ,if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks but you didn't help me very much

you welcome

were you looking for a one part & one answer fix mike ?

yea i m sorry , don't we all

good luck to you

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago
David Gieswein

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help you.

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

Please respond so I can assist you.

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

I believe I have a "one answer" fix for you. However, it involves two parts not just one. Please reply so we can get you taken care of.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just give me the good idea what it might be
Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

I believe you need to have the RO3 recall performed

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

If you would like I can explain it in detail if you like

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

Are you still there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please explain to me about ro3
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is anybody there now to help me
Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

Recall RO3 is about the Wireless Ignition Nodes unintentional movement of the Fobik from the "ON" position to the "ACC" position while driving. This can cause unintended engine shutdown and could cause a crash

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

The Recall says to replace the WIN module and all the Fobiks to fix the problem.

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

The dealership should replace the WIN and two Fobiks at no charge

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

This is a common problem with the complaint details you described. I have actually done the recall a few times with no come backs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a recall done on the ignition switch would that be the same Rico you're talking about
Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

That was probably a L25 recall which has been cancelled and updated to the RO3. The original recall was not good enough and didnt' fix the issue. If you did not receive two new Fobiks then it was the old recall.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will call the dealer ship where it was fixed and see if I need to come back in
Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

Sounds good, if I have answered your question please rate me and have a great day!

Dodge Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 year ago

What have you found out? You have not rated me yet, could you please rate me?

David Gieswein
David Gieswein
David Gieswein