Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. I bought it in 2002 with

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. I bought it in 2002 with 22,000 miles on it. The 1st year I had a major accident with it, and since then, 2 smaller ones. In all cases it seemed like I had only partially functioning brakes. Other times, usually at residential speeds, there was no problem. All the shops I questioned said "oh, they're just fine." Recently the brake light were staying on when I turned the key off. I investigated on my own, and found the multi-function brake light switch had been broken off its bracket for some time and had a couple of zip ties holding it in place. For $25 I replaced it, And after several field tests, seems to have given me brakes again. ( it says right on the switch: do not reinstall). Question: Am I right in assuming that this could of been my problem, anti-lock module was not always getting a signal?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Definitely could have been the problem. The brake switch is important the module uses this to tell if the brakes are being applied. Other system use the brake switch as well like the cruise control, and traction control if equipped.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks,

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

I would scan for codes in the abs as well.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks