roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Problem with 2008 dodge one ton with 5.9 motor. Customer

Customer Question

Problem with 2008 dodge one ton with 5.9 motor. Customer dropped off truck with one piston melted due to injector failure and an additional injector was failing also. Motor was re-ringed and new pistons installed. Two rebuilt injectors from Oreilly's were also installed. But,they didn't work and were returned and exchanged for two more rebuilt injectors that functioned but also caused blue smoke from exhaust. Those last injectors were removed and taken back to Oreillys. Now after we installed these two we are getting a code"fuel delivery error" and the truck will start and then die at exactly 10 seconds every time. At least with the first bad fuel injectors the motor would run and we could road test.Any ideas on what happening?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

first, I would get rid of the aftermarket injectors and get OEM from the dealer. the rebuilds have a high rate of failure from the start.

I would check the lift pump to be sure you have sufficient pressure to the pump.

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know that rebuilds are junk. And always advise on Bosch rebuilds for Dodge or Duramax or Ford for Powerstroke. I already advised customer to do that and they refused. They would rather pay me to keep installing 200.00 crap from oreillys
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I opened the drain valve on fuel filter and bumped motor to check lift pump was still working.
Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

ok, if the pump is working then it sounds like one of the injectors is leaking down causing low fuel pressure.

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Low fuel pressure caused by a leaking injector is causing this motor to start and run exactly for 10 seconds and then die everytime? Before I changed these two injectors last time the motor ran until I would shut it off,,just had blue smoke
Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

the key is the 2 o reilly injectors they may be causing this issue

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am going to try canceling the injectors at the rail to see if pressure stays up
Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

if they are leaking, that will not be an accurate test

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is a accurate test?
Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

do you have a fuel pressure gauge that you can monitor the fuel pressure???

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a scan tool that can monitor rail pressure.
Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

thats looking at the pressure up to the pump. you need to monitor the pressure right at the injectors

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what tool do I use for doing that? And where do they sell it?
Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

snap on, mac make diesel fuel pressure testers. I use the snap on, pricy but works well. you need to isolate the injectors

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is a bad lift pump really gonna cause this type of run and die problem? I thought that this was a vacuum draw system similar to fuel system on GM Duramax and that the lift pump was just to get it started.
Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

not looking at the lift pump. that just supplies the injector pump with fuel.

Expert:  roy replied 10 months ago.

any progress