Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2008 freightliner sprinter 2500. key will not turn. I am the

Customer Question
locksmith working on it. In...
2008 freightliner sprinter 2500. key will not turn. I am the locksmith working on it. In over my head.lol... I bought a new ignition( its some electronic thing) and a key. SO I am stuck.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Question is I did realize I do not get the lil suction when you insert the key.
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i would like to do it myself. i have to much time invested. and a lot of reading on forums
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that about it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
9/20/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 1 year ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The problem is most likely caused by the steering lock. If you are not hearing a "Buzzing" sound upon initial insertion of the key, you may need to replace and program the steering column lock before the key will be allowed to turn.

Make sure you are using the ORIGINAL ignition switch with the new steering lock. Ignition swith is not likely bad and if you replace it also it wll also need to be "Married" to the ECM also...

Give me a bit to gather some important info on this concern for you...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the ignition cylinder. It's not really a cylinder. It's a big plastic thing. I checked on another sprinter with same year. When you insert the key it it like sucks it in and makes a noise. Not a buzz, more like a click.. either way that didn't happen. So now I have a new ignition. What else can I do. I can install the old one to see if it works with what ever you tell me to do

Yes, that is called the EIS/Gateway (Electronic Ignition Switch). I HIGHLY recommend to reinstall the original as you will make more work for yourself if you use the new switch. Since it is not programmed to the vehicle it will still not start.

I'll be back with you asap, thanks for your patience and understanding while I research this for you...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks. Well I can do it for now. But I did drill it a bit. I can use it to see if we get it started. But prob could use an answer for next steps thanks

Here are a couple documents for you. One is for the diagnosis but unfortunately you may need a factory scanner to read some of the requested data. The other is the removal procedure for the steering lock when it won't unlock.

Sprinter key no turn --->> Click Here to view <<---

ELV removal (Steering Lock) --->> Click Here to view <<---

Remember, either way, if you end up needing the new ignition switch, you will need to take it to the dealer for the programming process to get it to start after replacement of the Ign switch AND Steering Lock.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you I will try that. I take it it is located on the column somewhere ...

Correct, lower column area..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok well. Got the pin out. Old ignition back in and it won't start.. any ideas. Or do I have to have new elv installed and programmed ?

Correct, you MUST install a new ELV AND have it PROGRAMMED at the DEALER before it will start.. IF the Old ign switch is damaged due to the drilling, I would recommend to install the new ign switch and the ELV then you can have them program both while it is at the dealer...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

The way this system works is that when you initially insert the key, the EIS sends a signal to the ELV that the correct key is in the ignition. At that point the ELV sends a signal back to the EIS once the ELV unlocks the steering wheel. Once the EIS receives the "Unlocked" message, it then allows the key to turn.....

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master