Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Runs great then at lower speeds engine cuts on and off.

Customer Question

runs great then at lower speeds engine cuts on and off. gauges jumping then engine quits fuel pump is whirring and asd fuel pump relay and fuel pump relay clicking. can switch relays and that may let it start and run but acts up againg. bought new relays but did not solve proble.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 202,14. New plugs and top of the line wires installed 2 months ago. started normaly until this relay/ fuel pump problem started about 3 weeks ago. car wont start when relays and fuel pump are runniing,clicking. get it to stop and it starts runs great at highway speeds, plenty of power.
JA: What is the model of your '14 Dodge?
Customer: it is a 2003 grand Caravan. had mechanic change out crank sensor, did not solve problem neither did new relays.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: see last message
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
runs great at HIGHER speeds, plenty of power problem happens at lower speeds,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If at any point during this conversation you would like to speak on the phone, feel free to request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away. Or simply let me know and I can get the process going.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Can I start by getting the codes in the computer and your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know how to get computer codes. I am not a Mechanic. My Vin# *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You for your help!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Let me do some research for you and reply back in a bit when I get home. Thank you for your patients!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So the engine starts and runs correct? Do these relays click when the engine is off or when the engine is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens sporadicaly, no ryhme or reason. when it acts up I am driving usualy 35 miles to idle . Gauges jump, engine dies and fires up again and quits then you can hear the relays for the fuel pump clicking and the fuel pump running steady.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. What was replaced for this already besides the relays? Was the PCM replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had a mechanic put in a new crank sensor. I just had all the relays new and old tested at a parts store. I tried to buy a new map sensor at both parts stores in the nearest town but none available. PCM was not replaced(not sure what that is but I will look it up)
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok no problem. I can get you the PCM part number if you provide me with your engine size.

Another possible cause would be a shorted out camshaft position sensor. It can short out pulling the PCM off line. If that checks out good, I would suspect a bad PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran a test using the odometer/trip gauge an the software is version 5.0 and error code E 400.1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a 2003 Grand Caravan 3.3l
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, one minute.. let me check

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the part number for the computer on this vehicle (non flex fuel with federal emissions) is R5127680AA

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Provided the inputs are good to the computer when this happens and the reference voltage is not shorting out, the computer is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the error code just gave you, E 400.1. can you look that up please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anyone can say change out the computer I have seen many many people do that over the years to no avail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last ime I saw someone spend the money to change out a computer it ende up being no vltage from the crank
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Did you pull that code from the instrument cluster?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I dont have a listing for that code. It should be a "P" code. For example, P0300 or P0420

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me run the test again and see what other codes I get 2 min please...
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get the software version 5.0 E COD E, 100.1, 100.5, 100.6 400.1. Then End before it goes through the guage and instrument light test.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for that information. I dont have a listing for any of those codes. You may be able to get your computer scanned for codes for free at your local auto parts store. But based on experience, this problem is most likley a bad PCM. Or course I would check the inputs to the computer before replacing it.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!