Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Went to crank.2012 ram 1500. acted like it would for a split

Customer Question
second. then everything went dead...
went to crank.2012 ram 1500. acted like it would for a split second. then everything went dead and a red dot appeared on dash. Then electronics went crazy but very faintly. Key would not release from ignition. Battery was fully charged. the only way to remove the key was to disconnect the battery then reconnect it. then all electronics come back on and you can remove key. but if you try to start it again everything shuts down again. also there was a buzzing coming fromthe fuse box at first but stopped when I disconnected the battery. But never did it again, even when battery was reconnected.
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The fuse making the noise could not be pulled out. It was inside a little toplest box or something. All I"ve done is disconnect the battery several times while try ing to start it.Nothing works until I lose the battery then reconnect it. But when I put the key in everything goes dead.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

What is the battery voltage at?

Hello?

Where did you go?

Please reply back so I can help you.

Well, I am going to post some information here in hopes that it helps you as I am going to be logging off for the night. I suspect you have a bad battery causing this issue preventing the engine from starting. Even if the battery is fully charged, it could have a bad cell inside the battery causing the voltage to drop very low when trying to start the engine. If this is the case, you just need to replace the battery.

If the battery checks out good, then I suspect there is a bad connection at or after the battery causing this condition and or a possible bad integrated power distribution module located under the hood. (this is the part that feeds voltage to all components on the vehicle)

You could use a voltmeter to check for power from the battery going to the integrated power module and on all fuses to ensure you have a good connection and that power is getting through to everything. However, I suspect you just have a bad battery. If not, just let me know and I can walk you through this diagnoses.

Good luck and let me know what you find! I will be back on line first thing in the morning.

Regards

Customer/p>

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you were able to get the vehicle started and/or if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician