Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I am getting gear sounding whine from the rear end

Customer Question
somewhere. Noise frequency tied...
I am getting gear sounding whine from the rear end somewhere. Noise frequency tied to vehicle speed, not engine rpm
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 66k, have a concrete drive, so I would certainly see a leak. no oil in the rear was my first thought. could be a tire too, but with a tire I would expect repetitive thumps, not a whine
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2013
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried nothing so far...last to touch the vehicle for oil / lube was Sport Hyundai Dodge in Egg Harbor Township, NJ.. Is it possible plug was left out of rear ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: oh, forgot to say it is a ram 1500 w/ 5.7 Hemi
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
9/14/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Have you have the rear end fluid changed? Is is a locking differential?

DO you have jack stands? Can you safely jack the vehicle up and place in drive and listen for noise? A long screwdriver is a good aid. Place the metal part of screwdriver on differential in different areas and other end on your ear and see if you can centralize noise.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.

Tool Hut
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician