Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 2012 dodge ram cargo van that I recently bought and

Customer Question

I have a 2012 dodge ram cargo van that I recently bought and sometimes the windshield wipers come on without turning the switch and the gauges quit working and the turn signals quit working too. The radio and a/c still work. I have swapped the turn signal switch and checked connectors but still no change. After it sits for a while it works properly. I have had some success disconnecting the battery but not always.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

SCM ( Steering control Module ), THAT MODULE CONTROLS THE WIPER OPERATION, WHEN YOU SAY ,SOMETIMES DISCONNECTING BATTERY FIX IT

THAT TELLS ME THIS MODULE RESETING , INSPECT THE CONNECTTORE OF IT , YOU HAVE SEVRAL CONNECTORS ON IT , INSPECT THEM ALL FOR ANY DAMAGE ,BACKED OUT PINS, MELTING ETC.. IF ALL GOOD , THEN REPACE IT

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mduqpwn3gy25r0/AC10.gif?dl=0

OPERATION The multi-function switch uses resistor multiplexing to control the many functions and features it provides using a minimal number of hard wired circuits. The switch receives clean grounds from the Steering Control Module (SCM) internal to the switch housing, then provides resistor multiplexed return outputs to the SCM to indicate the selected switch positions. The SCM then sends electronic switch status messages over a Local Interface Network (LIN) data

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU. WHERE IS THE STEERING CONTROL MODULE? WILL THAT AFFECT MY GAUGES AND TURN SIGNALS TOO?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE INSPECTE THE FUSE BLOCK AND HAVE FOUND NOTHING UNUSUAL. IS THAT WHERE THE SCM IS?
No It is not
This the module under steering , it will have 6 to 7 connector on it
diagram 2
Diagram 3
Chad

Please dont forget to rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have not responded recently. I could not locate the steering control module on the caravan. The diagram you sent me was not clear enough for me to tell where it was. I looked under the dash but never could find it

i m truly sorry

how about this diagram

is this one better

here it is ,found a great picture for you

This vehicle is equipped with a Steering Control Module (SCM), which is an electronic circuit board with a microprocessor that is internal to the multi-function switch (1) housing. The SCM is a Local Interface Network (LIN) slave and communicates over a dedicated LIN bus circuit with the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN), which is the LIN master and also provides a gateway to the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The multi-function switch is located on the left side of the steering column, just below the steering wheel. The multi-function switch provides the primary controls for the front and rear wiper and washer systems, the turn signals and for headlamp beam selection. The only visible component of the switch is the control stalk, which includes a control sleeve or ring and a control knob that extend through the shrouds on the left side of the steering column. The remainder of the switch including its mounting provisions, its electrical connection and a turn signal cancel actuator are concealed beneath the shrouds. The switch housing and controls are constructed of molded black plastic. A single integral latch feature and slide tabs on the switch housing engage channels and a striker that are integral to the left side of the mounting bracket that is integral to the clockspring (3) to secure the switch to the steering column. Each of the switches within the multi-function switch is internally connected to the SCM. A single connector receptacle integral to the back of the switch housing connects the SCM to the vehicle electrical system through a dedicated takeout and connector of the instrument panel wire harness. The SCM cannot be adjusted or repaired, and is not flash update capable. If ineffective or damaged the entire multi-function switch must be replaced. See: Combination Switch > Removal and Replacement > Multifunction Switch - Removal. The clockspring (with the multi-function switch mounting bracket) and the multi-function switch (with the SCM) are each available for separate service replacement.

Hope I was helpful to you

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

SCM module steering column module

thank you

Chad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which number is ***** in the diagram you sent me? I still dont know what I'm looking for

IT WILL BE # 3 in the last diagram i sent you

the middle part where the rest attach to it , that is your SCM module

the steering wheel has to come out to access the module

steering wheel and module exploded view .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im still confused. The description that you sent me says that it is located on the left side beneath the steering wheel and the #3 in the diagram is on the right. Do you have a picture of the scm?

hey i m sorry that is all the info on it

i will opt out of your the question for another expert to help you on it ,they might have more/better info or picture & diagrams to help you with it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Sorrry but I really don't know what I'm looking for exactly