Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Shift indicator is not working properly. will not go all

Customer Question
with way into park unless...
shift indicator is not working properly. will not go all with way into park unless on a bit of a grade. also has no start condition sometimes. I have to shift to neutral to start. what can I do to fix this issue?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
9/11/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Check that the shifter is adjusted properly, also this could be a range sensor problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where/how is this done?

is this the floor shifter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The shifter on the column will not go into park all the time. sometimes I have to shift to neutral to start the engine. the p,r,n,d,1,2 light will not be around the correct gear to indicate that it is in the proper gear.
  1. Raise and support vehicle. Inspect shift linkage for worn components. Replace any damaged or worn grommets or shift linkage components before adjusting.
  2. Ensure gearshift lever is in "P" position. Loosen lock bolt on adjusting swivel. See Fig 3 . Ensure shift rod slides freely in adjusting swivel. If shift rod fails to slide freely in adjusting swivel, lubricate shift rod as necessary.
  3. Rotate manual lever on transmission fully toward rear of vehicle to park detent. Position adjusting swivel so it is centered in grommet on torque shaft arm. See Fig 3 . Tighten lock bolt on adjusting swivel. Ensure engine starts only with transmission in Park and Neutral. If engine starts with transmission in any other gear ranges except Park and Neutral, shift linkage adjustment is incorrect or PNP switch is faulty.

shift interlock system

ADJUSTMENTS

WARNING: Vehicle is equipped with Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. When servicing vehicle, use care to avoid accidental air bag deployment. SIR system-related components are located in various locations throughout interior and exterior of vehicle, depending on application. Do not use electrical test equipment on or near these circuits. If necessary, deactivate SIR system before servicing components. See AIR BAG DEACTIVATION PROCEDURES article in GENERAL INFORMATION.

GEARSHIFT CABLE

1. Shift transmission into PARK. Release cable adjuster lock tab located underneath the steering column to unlock cable. See Figure . Raise and support vehicle. Disengage the cable eyelet from the transmission manual shift lever. Verify transmission shift lever is in PARK detent by moving lever fully rearward.
  2. Last rearward detent is PARK position. Verify positive engagement of transmission park lock by attempting to rotate propeller shaft. Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged. Snap the cable eyelet onto the transmission manual shift lever. Lower vehicle. Lock shift cable by pressing cable adjuster lock tab downward until it snaps into place. Check engine starting. Engine should start only in PARK and NEUTRAL.

SHIFT INTERLOCK CABLE

1. Remove the steering column trim as necessary for access to the brake transmission shift interlock. Shift the transmission into the PARK position. Pull upward on both the BTSI lock tab and the gearshift cable lock tab. See Figure .
  2. Verify that the shift lever is in the PARK position. Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. The shaft will not rotate when the park lock is engaged. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position.
  3. Ensure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing. Push the gearshift cable lock tab down until it snaps in place.
  4. Locate the BTSI alignment hole in the bottom of the BTSI mechanism between the BTSI lock tab and the BTSI connector. Move the BTSI assembly up or down on the gearshift cable until an appropriate size drill bit can be inserted into the alignment hole and through the assembly. Push the BTSI lock tab down until it snaps into place and remove the drill bit. Install any steering column trim previously removed.
  5. Verify adjustment by attempting to move gearshift lever. See SYSTEM OPERATION CHECK under TROUBLE SHOOTING. If shift interlock system functions as specified, adjustment is okay.

STOPLIGHT SWITCH

NOTE: Stoplight switch may also be known as brakelight switch.

Stoplight switch is ONLY adjustable during installation procedure. Stoplight switch is not able to be adjusted more than one time. Switch replacement is necessary if adjustment is needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you have a diagram or photo for these steps? is there an online resource that I can reference that will tell me this stuff?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there an good online resource that I can reference?

Not that I know of besides google search.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
earlier when you were talking about the gearshift cable, it mentions see figure. is there a figure for that step too?

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks

Dan, ASE Certified Technician