Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 v/10 automatic 4x4. My problem

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 v/10 automatic 4x4. My problem is that it cranks but won't start, and the Trans temp and O/D off light are on. This started as an intermittent problem but has become permanent. Before, if the lights were off when I turned the key to the ON position, it would start and run fine. With the lights on, it just cranks as though it isn't getting fire. Please help.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park and no idea
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yea I am. I have a scan tool that says all types of sensors are out, but I haven't been able to verify this w it running. The crank position sensor is supposedly out, the cam position sensor, as well as the ambient temperature sensor under the battery. I have replaced these to no avail.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it in a nutshell
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need help. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still haven't heard from anyone and I hope someone can help me. I'm at a standstill.

Have you or do you know how to check for the presence of fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse?

Can i get the code numbers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember the code numbers but they called for replacing the crankshaft position sensor, the camshaft position sensor, and the ambient temperature sensor that shows being placed under the battery. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor and the PCM since I first messaged.I will look up how to check for those things getting power and get back to you tomorrow.I figured with all of these things showing codes, while still being intermittent, that it must be a burnt wire or the PCM. I cannot find any evidence of anything being "bad". If it just stopped and didn't start, I would agree those things need replaced. With it coming and going for no apparent reason, I am at a loss. Anyway, I will report back tomorrow after I run the tests.Thanks,
Jason

I believe it is going to be a wire concern but I would need those code numbers to figure out which circuit.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I haven't gotten back on here yet. I just checked the truck with my Bosch enhanced obd1&2 scantool, and now it shows "no codes found", but I still have the Trans temp and o/d off lights on the dash and no starting. I've looked for a burnt or broken wire, but cannot find anything obvious. I am at a loss.Thanks,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried to start the truck and now the GEN light is on as well.

This post is set to time out tonight. Will the truck at least crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it cranks and all the gauges look normal as far as the ammeter is showing a charge. It just won't fire. Is there something in the steering column that could cause this?

While cranking tell me what your not getting. Injector pulse, fuel pressure, or ignition spark?

Hello again Chris here,

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I tested for spark by shooting some starting fluid into the intake and still no start. I haven't moved to checking for fuel yet because it seems the no spark issue should be the first to address.

Can you pull a plug to see if there is any spark or to see if its weak spark?

If there is good spark then we need to check compression.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find no spark when I test it.

Here is your wire diagram if needed. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/80EP.pdf

Key on, is the dark green/orange wire powered to both coils?