Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge runs for 20 min and dies. 2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Can I get your engine size and or VIN?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, don't have the money. My Dodge Ram starts and runs for 20 min and then dies. I have change everything to cables and battery. Atl good.

Ok, but I do need your engine size in order to help you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
V8 5.9lt

Thank you for that information. Does the the engine start right back up when it stalls out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, Steering colum being acting up. Turn signal reading right to left

So the engine just cranks over but it does not start correct? Does it have spark when this happens?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything good. It runs for 20 min and dies. I put a old battery in just to see if every thing works. Charged. I put a new water and full pump in.

Everything is obvioulsy not good if the engine stalls out. It is either missing spark and or fuel when this happens. Which one?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I turn my keys over and no gauges work. Turns over starter work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's takes about twent times turn keys on off to work.

I am going to leave this question open.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I going to change steering column and see if that works. Thank you.
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 year ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is***** are 3 common causes for this type of stalling and not starting problem . 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your Dodge to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ty

You are welcome!!

Chris

I hope this information helps, and if so would you take a minute and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me if you have any follow up questions.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I change the crankshaft sensor. Had it hook up to computer. What's a PCM?

The PCM is the engine computer. It is a box mounted on the right side of the firewall under the hood. It will have 3 or 4 large connectors plugged into it. This is most likely the problem.

Chris

Chris

I hope this information helps, and if so would you take a minute and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me if you have any follow up questions. Thank you! Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply.

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. Let me know. If my answer has been helpful , would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman