Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile
83572702

I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 trx4 and for some reason it's

Customer Question

I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 trx4 and for some reason it's having problems starting I've changed multiple thingsources like starter,battery,fuel pump, spark plugs, ignition coils . What it does is when it getstarts warm it won't start if your leave it alone all night then in the morning it will start right up its just when it warms up im thinking it might be the alternator but my buddie told me it could be a head gasket. O ya and i also got the injectors cleaned no check engine light on. If you keep on turning it over to start it it does start to smell
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 1 year ago.

Hi . I will try to assist you . Have you ever scanned it even though there is no MIL light on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have but the only thing that came out was some brake light code

how recently have you checked for DTC's ?

you say it does not start ? Do you mean it does not crank over or it cranks over but does not " fire up " ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i took it to

what sort of smell are you experiencing ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic and he ran them and he said the brake light or switch was out so he changed that then there were no more codes

okay then for the codes . :-)

are you ever needing to add oil or coolant ?

do you mean when it is HOT that it has a " slow " crank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The smell is weird it doesn't smell like gas it smells weird there is also a little smoke that comes out but just when cranking up
Im not having to put oil but the other day I changed my oil and noticed the water pump is leaking so I gonna end up having to change that.
I mean hot like not overheating engine hot but just warm after its been drivin

Is it a " SLOW " or a " NO " crank when you turn the key " ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's slow

when it is HOT ?

and it is , grunting and groaning ? Where is the smoke coming from , under the hood ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hot no like engine overheating hot tho
Let's just say it doesent do it when itshe 60 degrees outside it starts right up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Smoke from tail pipe

what color ? White ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it sounds like a cracked head or a head gasket . What you need to do is when the engine is hot ( Try to purposely get it really hot ) turn it off . If it will not start , right away ( as quickly as you can ) remove the spark plugs and see if the engine will turn over ( fast ) . reinstall the spark plugs and see if it will then start . You need to do this . prepare ahead of time to have the spark plug socket COP socket so you can do this fairly quickly .

you may actually see coolant or moisture/steam pumped out of one or more spark plug holes .

hello . How are you making out with your issue ? If we are finished I would appreciate it if you can leave me a positive feed back rating so I may get credited for my time here at just answer , Thanks for using just answer .