kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Got gasoline in fuel tank at the gas station, on a dodge ram

Customer Question

Got gasoline in fuel tank at the gas station, on a dodge ram 2500 turbo cummins, truck stalled on highway and was able to limp back home after several shut off.
What kind of damage can I expect?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

I do not think you can do to much damage. You will how ever have to do alot of cleaning to get it running correctly again. You will need to pull the fuel tank and clean it out very good, replace the fuel filter, and flush the lines out to get any and all gas out of the system. I have had to clean many systems out, and never had any damage to the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the injectors and fuel pump
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

When you drop the tank, run good fuel through the pump before you reinstall it into the tank. I use the fuel pump in a 5 gallon bucket connected to the lines and power to flush the system after I replace the fuel filter. Then replace the fuel filter again when you put the system all back together.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

Only put 3 gallons of fuel in the bucket. I cut a hole in the lid so the pump just fits in the top so there is no splashing when the fuel return sends fuel back to the tank, "or the bucket in this case".