sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Was driving yesterday and after an emergency break the car

Customer Question

was driving yesterday and after an emergency break the car could not start again
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: i change battery just last week after same problem is not battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: went fo repair shop no problem was found
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: want to know why car have to stop in the middle of traffic and won't start again after a smooth ride
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my car have been having this problem, first i was thinking is the battery and i had it change last week Friday and on Sunday was going out with my kids, the car stop at the middle of traffic and could not start i waited for about 5 minutes it started again. so we arrive park the car just to come back it couldn't start again we have to wait there for about 4 hours and car started. Yesterday was driving and had and emergency break and
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
004915215352010
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
after the emergency break my car could not start again. I called my insurance and car was taking repair shop which it was close. car was deposited by my insurance in front of repair shop just for me to get to my mechanic to check car and see what the problem was car started back normally. ok i took car for shopping and after shopping car could not start again and right now i have to leave my car in front of the shopping center and come home with public transport
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
car was check by best mechanic from my insurance Adac and no problem was found i am just so confuse right now. is better when U have a problem and it is identify then checking without finding any problem but car keep disappointing me in the middle of traffic. will appreciate if u can hepl with this problem. one more thing, each time car refuse to start minutes after the break is block it doesn't goes down again it becomes really hard no matter how u do it won't go down. break pad is like locked
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause the engine to die and not restart. It will take some testing to determine exactly what is going on. You may be missing spark, fuel or both for a number of reasons, especially depending on what the vehicle is.

What year and model is the vehicle?
What happens when you try to start the engine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
dodge caliber 2007
all light comes on but start cant start. is not fuel and i just change battery last week
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all light comes o but car does not start

What specifically happens when you try to start the engine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all light come on. car try to start but cant start. was with a machanic yesterday and they couldnt find any problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
am just from using car right now after and it still left me on the road.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i got it this mornig from where i left it yesterday after about an hour drive car couldn't start again have to live it again on roadside and come home is really forstreating

I do understand that the engine does not start but I'm trying to determine what happens when you attempt to start it.

Do you hear a series of rapid clicks while the key is held in the crank position?

Do you hear a single click?

Do you hear nothing at all from the engine compartment?

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Does the throttle body do a self test when the key is turned on?

Does the starter actually engage and crank the engine but the engine does not start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i get the sound like car want to start but it can not start
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
u know the sound car produce when it want to start. it does that and that is it. it does not start

Does the starter engage and turn the engine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my insurance has check car with their computer system and no fault was found
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does and show fuel level in car.

If there are no fault codes and the engine cranks but does not start then odds are you have no fuel pressure. You may have a bad pump or wiring issue, or the pump connector may be damaged from heat. I've seen many pumps and connectors fail due to heat damage. It needs to be determined whether the fuel pump is running and whether there is fuel pressure. If there is no pressure then the pump connection needs to be checked and then the pump's power and ground tested if the connector is ok.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the problem is i will be driving car is very ok once i park car to go some where for like 10 to 20 minuest car wont start again

I do understand that the engine does not start. Testing needs to be done to determine the cause. If there are no fault codes setting then odds are you are missing fuel pressure as mentioned above.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but if there is fuel pressure problem as mention car won't drive well. Cos when am driving i dont have any problem in giving gas
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the only problem i have is car refusing to start sometimes and after left to seat for about 10 to 15 hours car will function back normally and after an hour drive car will start again
What is the fuel pressure reading at the time it doesn't start?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
have to check that
You said you already had?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what i said is when i start the car it shows how much fuel is inside and when it stop fuel goes back to zero. can't remember the level need to check that again. or are u talking of some other thing
We aren't discussing fuel level. We're discussing fuel pressure which you said was fine. Fuel pressure is measured with a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel line at the fuel rail.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok i see. that i have no idea have to check
A fuel pressure gauge would be required.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok
Let me know if you need any more help!