Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2008 sprinter 3 litre diesel.Oil leak at lower starter motor

Customer Question

2008 sprinter 3 litre diesel.Oil leak at lower starter motor bolt.engine valley dry no oil appears to be leaking from turbo cooler.Not to familier with this
engine .Possible rear main seal but don't see oil in lower converter cover. Help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 10 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is this a large leak or a small leak. How much oil is coming through the starter area?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
With the engine washed off and running warmed up we can see oil when it is reved up to 2000 rpm seeping out of the starter bolt.it does not seem to have to much crank case pressure and runs well.

Is this a constant drip? If so, How many seconds or minutes between each drip that comes off the starter bolt??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a slow drip may be every 30 seconds or more

When replacing the turbo, did you replace the gaskets on the turbo mounting bracket?? This leak may be coming from there..

There is a weep hole at the back of the engine that usually is the place where any oil leakage in the valley ends up leaking out through. This weep hole trails to the starter mounting area... At this time, I recommend to double check the turbocharger installation to see if possibly the gasket slid out during installation...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Here is a pic of the engine showing the inside of the bell housing area. The weep hole at the top leads to an area next to the turbocharger mounting bracket. IF the gaskets are leaking, any oil would be coming through this weep hole and end up coming out the starter mounting area.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly "Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a question that might sound stupid. Does oil run through the intake manifold? I can see fresh oil on the drivers side head running down into the valley. Either that or a valve cover gasket. I would like to see a picture of the the top if the motor with the swirl valve off it might give me a better idea.

No, Only coolant runs through the intake manifold. IF the fresh oil is extremely black, maybe it's coming out of the swirl valve pivots..

Here is a pic of the valley area...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.