Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have 2001 Dodge Stratus and speedometer is not working. It

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2001 Dodge Stratus and speedometer is not working. It works sometime for not to long when you just start the car. What could it be?
Thank you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That could be, (and is pretty likely) the vehicle speed sensor dropping out. That is the output speed sensor on the top of the trans. Please see attached location diagram. The tests for the speedometer are rather extensive.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi sorry for delay, just came back from vacation. So i replaced both sensors in and out. Now.... the speedometer still not working, some gauges came on ...but the funniest part is Odometer is on permanently, even when car is not running and keys not in ignition. This think drains my battery over night and i have to jump start it every morning.
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

I see, thanks. That is most likely in the instrument panel but some tests would have to be done to be sure.

In order to diagnose the instrument cluster functions, a DRB III scan tool and the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures are required.