Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

98 dodge caravan, no start. on bottom of dashboard red light

Customer Question
blink twice, turn key nothing...
98 dodge caravan, no start. on bottom of dashboard red light blink twice, turn key nothing, radio works. battery 12.6 volts. no start. all 4 turn lights blink. put battery charger on for 3 hours, nothing
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: L look at the fuses in the engine compt but could not tell anything.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just charge the battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: some thing would chine 3 or 4 times
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That was 4 hours ago. charger was on the battery for about 3 hours ago. so durning my wait time I tried to start the van, put key in dashboard lights blinking, little red light blinking, 4 turn lights blinking but still no start, starter not making a sound.
8/31/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Do the headlights work, and what is the the battery voltage with them on, while the charger is not running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
headlights work. battery voltage b4 12.56v lights on . durning lights on 12. 23 after lights off 12.41 dashboard lights blinking durning the whole time
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tried to start again, nothing,not even a sound to try to crank.

Thanks, ***** ***** passed.

Is this a caravan or grand caravan?

Which liter engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
grand caravan sport. what liter engine? how do I tell?

I can tell the the engine size with your 8th vin# ***** letter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the 8th vin# ***** *****

Thanks,

Remove the starter relay under the hood, does one pin have battery voltage?

With the key held in the start position is there another pin with battery voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
starter relay ? where? there is only me here

You can remove the relay and push a paper clip into each hole one by one to touch your meter to, to test and find the power pin when trying to start. The starter relay is in the power distribution center under the hood.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/PDC.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nice picture, let me go to get test results

Super

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
first results, no key in switch, I found 1 hole with voltage of 12.56volts now to test with key to start

Super, I just saw the pins labeled in the diagram, if you can zoom in on it. It is pin 86 you check for key in the start position power.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
test #2 could not find voltage in the other 3 holes. still no start sounds. [parking lights blinking]
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I found pin # 86 and retested, o volts. other things, with key on fuel gage moved.

PTC 10 10amp under the dash. Does this fuse have power with the key in the run position?

With the key in the run position, at the starter relay jump a wire briefly form pin 30 to 87 it should crank, does it start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
help? ptc 10 under the dash? is this the start fuse?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
next, how to tell if fuse has power with the key in run position?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/PTC.pdf

If the PTC fuse does not have test pins on the top face of it so you can check it while still installed then remove it and check both sides where it plugs into.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can only see the row of small fuses at the bottom of the pic. above that a few relays, than a mess of wires
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could I just put a jump wire from pin 30 to pin 87 and turn the key on to test start
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok it is late, could we continue tomorrow? How do I connect with you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok well, an ending question, could I jump from pin 30 to 87 and turn the key and not blow up ?

Yes , just log in and reply tomorrow when ready.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician