Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My car wont sound alarm when I lock door sometimes not all

Customer Question

My car wont sound alarm when I lock door sometimes not all the time and When I'm driving sometimes will blow and also go to push horn sometimes and it will not blw
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Is your battery fully charged?
Customer: not yet on the fusesand yesBattery is just fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2008 dodge avenger
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no not that smart Just trying to get info before getting into spending money
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no that's about it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

sorry to hear about your problem you having

you need to have the antitheft module scanned using a chrysler diagnostic scanner or equivalent to retrieve fault codes

so we know what failed in the system.

it could be

below is the parts involved in the security system, you can review the list below .

most of the time it will be on of those switches listed below, to find out we needed scan.

the repair for a micro switch bad, should be around $250

if for some reason the module is bad, then you looking around $500 worse case scenario.

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,just reply back & we can continue

,if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat

2008 Dodge Avenger V6-2.7L

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

DESCRIPTION The Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) is comprised of two primary subsystems: Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) and Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). The VTA is an active system that provides visual and audible responses as deterrents to and warnings of unauthorized vehicle tampering. The SKIS is a passive system that effectively immobilizes the vehicle against unauthorized operation. Following are paragraphs which describe these subsystems of the VTSS. Certain functions and features of the VTSS rely upon resources shared with or controlled by other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. Other modules that may affect VTSS operation are: - ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) - Also sometimes referred to as the Cab Compartment Node (CCN). Driver and passenger front and rear doors, and liftgate ajar switch status. VTA system logic. Security indicator control. See: Instrument Cluster / Carrier > Components > Description. - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - SKIS engine control logic. See: Engine Control Module > Components > Powertrain Control Module - Description. - Steering Control Module (SCM) - See: Steering Mounted Controls Communication Module > Components > Description. - Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) - Hood ajar switch status (export only). Exterior lighting system and horn system control See: Power Distribution Module > Components > Description. Except for the Sentry Key transponders, which rely upon Radio Frequency (RF) communication, hard wired circuitry connects the VTA and SKIS components to the electrical system of the vehicle. VEHICLE THEFT ALARM The VTA is available in two different configurations, one is designed for vehicles manufactured for sale in North America; while the other is designed for vehicles manufactured for sale in markets outside of North America. In addition, the VTA for export is available in two versions: base and premium. All vehicles equipped with VTA are also equipped with the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system and the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), regardless of their market destination. The North American and export base version of the VTA system provide perimeter vehicle protection by monitoring the vehicle doors, the ignition switch, the trunk, and for vehicles built for certain markets where it is required equipment, the hood. If unauthorized vehicle use or tampering is detected, these systems respond by pulsing the vehicle horn as an audible deterrent and flashing certain exterior lamps as a visual deterrent. The export premium version of the VTA system is only available in vehicles manufactured for sale in certain markets where it is required equipment. The export premium version of the VTA provides the same perimeter protection features as the base version, but adds interior vehicle intrusion protection. The export premium VTA also supplements the pulsing horn feature of the base version with a siren as the audible deterrent, while retaining the flashing exterior lamps as the visual deterrent. The VTA includes the following major components, which are described in further detail elsewhere in this service information: - Door Ajar Switches - A door ajar switch is integral to the door latch mechanism of each front and rear door. - Hood Ajar Switch - A hood ajar switch is located in a bracket on the left rear side of the engine compartment, near the shock tower of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment. - Intrusion Module - The intrusion module is included on vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where required.The JS41 (sedan), intrusion module is located underneath the instrument panel upper panel, just to the right centerline of the instrument panel base, next to the remote compass module. On the JS27 (convertible) the intrusion module and sensors are incorporated into the dome lamp assembly. - Intrusion Sensor Receiver - An intrusion sensor receiver is located behind and mounted to the right A-Pillar trim panel of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment. - Intrusion Sensor Transmitter - An intrusion sensor transmitter is located behind and mounted to the left Upper C-Pillar trim panel of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment. - Trunk Ajar Switch - A liftgate ajar switch is integral to the latch for the liftgate in the vehicle. - Security Indicator - A security indicator is integral to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC), sometimes referred to as the Cab Compartment Node (CCN). - Siren - An alarm siren is located in a hollow behind the right front splash shield, on the outer load beam of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment. SENTRY KEY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is available as factory-installed standard equipment on this model. Vehicles equipped with the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) are also equipped with SKIS. The SKIS provides passive vehicle protection by preventing the engine from operating unless a valid electronically encoded key is detected in the ignition lock cylinder. The SKIS used in combination with the export premium version of the VTA adds a steering shaft lock feature that provides passive protection by preventing the vehicle from being steered unless a valid electronically encoded key is detected in the ignition lock cylinder, but is only available in vehicles manufactured for sale in certain markets where it is required equipment. The SKIS includes the following major components, which are described in further detail elsewhere in this service information: - Sentry Key Remote Entry Module - The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) is sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The SKREEM/WCM is located on the instrument panel to the right side of the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder housing and an integral molded plastic antenna ring circles the ignition lock cylinder like a halo. The SKREEM/WCM and its antenna are concealed beneath an ignition switch bezel on the instrument panel. - Sentry Key Transponder - The Sentry Key transponder is contained within the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter integral to the head of the ignition key. See: Alarm System Transponder > Components > Description. - Security Indicator - A security indicator is integral to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC).

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13801)