Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2011 grand caravan, intermittent starting issue will turn

Customer Question

2011 grand caravan
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: intermittent starting issue will turn key: sometimes starts no problem, sometimes a split second of nothing, then starts, sometimes, a two second delay, then starts.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: park
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not sure about wheel lock feature
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

This van has what is called a wireless ignition node (WIN). It basically tells the engine to start via a wireless signal rather than via a wiring harness as done in the past.

They malfunction all of the time. Your WIN is probably going bad. Do you plan to replace it yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Also, when the problem is occurring can you try a spare key and see if it will start the engine normally?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

To replace the WIN the entire dash will need to come off. This can be a little tricky. You will also need a factory compatible scan tool to program the new WIN.