Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota SLT extended cab 4X4 6 cylinder

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota SLT extended cab 4X4 6 cylinder Automatic and have replaced every electric part I can think of and the problem is driving and it just turns off. I stop and wait 2 minutes and it starts back and will run for 1 to 5 miles and then it just cuts off and everything goes dead.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Was the crankshaft position sensor replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cam shaft sensor.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

No, the crank sensor on the transmission bellhousing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced every electrical part that I can think of.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

And was the crank sensor replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the crankshaft sensor and the computer.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, check for power at the ignition coil while cranking when this happens and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the problem it happens when I am driving. I can start the engine and it will idle perfectly I even set it at 2000 rpms and ran it for 20 minutes and it did not turn off then I drove about 2 miles and it turned off.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

And then what happens after it turns off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gauges all go dead and I will stop. Wait a few minutes and it starts back up and everything works fine. I drive a little more and it just cuts off like the key was turned off.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I understand sir. I would like you to check for power at the ignition coil when cranking after it stalls and does not restart. Also, check for a reference voltage going to the TPS with the key on when this happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this after work and I will have to get back to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good