sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Iam from Germany and my englisch is Not very well. Sorry for

Customer Question

Hello, iam from Germany and my englisch is Not very well. Sorry for that. I hope you understand me and iam too. I had a dodge ram 98 Model 5,9 l 4x4 gas with a 46 re Trans. I want Upgrade my tranny for a little bit performence. I Drive somethimes with my Car around hills up and down and tranny goes hot. Not overheat. Before it happens i stopped. Take a Break . I like to Ride 160 km/h constantly . And somethimes towing 3,5 t . I ve imagined i change only few things . For example red eagle clutch kolene Steel and a Shift kit. Just thougt. Is that possible. Whats possible over 200- 400 €? Someone told me there is a friction clutch that had two different sides, One Rough and One blank side. He said it is for the 48 re Trans but you can also use it in 46 re. Is that possible ?
Maybe you have a good Suggestion .
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I fix it with my Friends . He is a Trans Guy
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think Little Bit perfome
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My Pay Pal Said it is payed. Is that correkt?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 11 months ago.

Hello, so you already have installed red eagle clutches and a shift kit? Are you still using the stock transmission cooler in the radiator?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, is that possible?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
stock cooler
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But this is what im also want to change

I'll post a link to a good rebuild kit. They ship worldwide

Click here

Link to shift kit HERE

An external cooler will help a lot with this You can mount it in front of the radiator and not need a sepereate fan for it.

Let me know if I can help more

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good thing. And Not more parts, for constantly 160 km/h over hills up and down. Somethimes 3,5 t towing

That should more than handle it. You may consider deep transmission pan if available for better cooling as well

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I had another ram, also 98 Model 5,9 l 4x4 Gas . My Wife Cruise 800 km on Highway and overheat Transmission. Now, it was rebuild. But, after 20 km o/d light shine. What happened? I cheked cooler line with temp gauge . For Example , it goes in cooler 100 Celsius and goes out 55 Celsius. I think thats ok or? But its too hot or?

If the light is coming on it's most likely an electrical issue. Sensor or solenoid. You would have to have a scan tool that coupld pull transmission codes to find out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, i Drive to Service Station.

Sounds good

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, i was on Service Station.
There are 3 Codes : 62 lambda probe Bank 1 sensor 1 , 168 regulating pressure sensor ( Trans ), 169 regulating pressure sensor ( Trans ), Ground Voltage ( Offset ) faulty
Before i Contact you, i search it self. As i Said , chek cooler - line - chek valve and i changed complete Element valve body. That was a used Valve body from a tans. Guy . He said is a good used 97 valve body. I mean, is in this valve body also a faulty . What shoud i think about that, curious.

Very unlikely second valve body is bad. More likely an electrical fault. What year and engine was in your wifes again? I'll pull troubleshooting infor for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. It is a 1500 5,9 l 4x4 98 model Gas 230 hp with.

Thanks, ***** ***** osme reason I do not have infor on those codes in my infromation system. I'll open this back up so another expert can help. Someone should be with you shortly.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello an welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please, read the conversation before.

Your current question is on the second vehicle with the trans temp light coming on, correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Iam very sad about your answeres. Because i descibe it before. Ok i understand . Its Not your Problem. You want only the Money for justAnswere. So whats going on?

I haven't given an answer, I'm still trying to determine what part of the question you're still needing help with. It appears you've asked multiple questions on multiple vehicles in one question thread and I'm trying to determine exactly what you're still needing help with. Please post exactly what you're still needing help with if you want to continue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I had ram, 98 Model 5,9 l 4x4 Gas . My Wife Cruise 800 km on Highway and overheat Transmission. Now, it was rebuild. But, after 20 km o/d light shine. What happened? I cheked cooler line with temp gauge . For Example , it goes in cooler 100 Celsius and goes out 55 Celsius. I think thats ok or? But its too hot or?
Then, i was on Service Station.
Before i Contact you, i search it self. As i Said , chek cooler - line - chek valve and i changed complete Element valve body. That was a used Valve body from a trans. Guy . He said is a good used 97 valve body. I mean, is in this valve body also a faulty . What shoud i think about that, curious.

Do you have the actual P code numbers? The codes should be reported as a P and four numbers.

What symptoms does it have when the overdrive off light comes on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hmh sorry, this is what service Station give. Not P and no 4 numbers, unfortunately. The Symptoms not so much, only o/d goes out. Few minute later the temp light shine.
Every testdrive, the temp gauge were on 115 Celsius and then I stoped before o/d goes out. All lines cooler and chek valve are ok. Changed valve body also. My Engine is on nomal temperature, it works fine.

It's either still overheating then or the temperature sensor signal is incorrect. The fact that the temp light comes on after the overdrive off light usually points to actual overheating.

What's relevant is the temperature of the fluid in the pan, not the cooler or lines. Measuring the temperature of the lines doesn't tell you whether fluid is actually flowing through them.

It sounds like you're setting a code for the upstream oxygen sensor which is most likely the sensor and usually not related, but it can affect the governor transducer. It needs to be repaired.

The other two codes are most likely for the governor transducer, which also acts as the temperature sensor. Electrical testing would need to be done but odds are the transducer will need to be replaced. This may take care of the overheat indication. If not then you have an actual overheat condition either from a slipping clutch or trans cooling system issues.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Great thanks a lot, i will try to fix the problem. I hope i find it. See you . Have a nice day. Bye

You're welcome and good luck with it!