Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2005 Dodge 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. the truck.starts

Customer Question
great as long as the...
I have a 2005 Dodge 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. the truck.starts great as long as the outside temperature is not above about 75 degrees. that's when it's hard to start. I can crank on it and it won't start but if I leave the key in the on position for a minute or so it will start no problem. it starts great in the mornings or cold days or even when it's off for a lengthy time.. any good ideas. the local dodge dealer is baffled....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/24/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Have they checked the fuel pressure regulator?

Have they checked fuel pressure when the problem is happening? are there any codes stored?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to both questions

IPDM is a common problem on this vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's the ipdm
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oops dont call

Integrated power distribution module

I wont call.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok how can that affect the way it starts only by the outside temperature. cause it doesn't mather how hot the motor is.

It could be related to the ignition switch, the ipdm is a common problem for strange problems on this vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wouldn't the check engine light come on for that

The ipdm is a separate module from the engine light, so no this would not set the light, but it would have codes in it. You would need a dealer quality scan tool to access them.

I would scan all modules on the truck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll go to dodge tomorrow. and have it checked again

Ok let me know, I will this this question open.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do

OK thanks

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry we took it to the shop and had it scanned everything checked out okay but what we did fine is the fuel pump relay didn't kick on right away it was turning over a few seconds before activating we replace the relay and it still did the same thing

Ok, this is difficult to diagnose over the internet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know I think I'm just going to wait until it goes out completely so I can figure out what it is or spend the money to put it in the shop

Sometimes these things need to get worse before they can get better.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lol I get alot of cars in that won't act up for me but will for the owners.. summer's almost over and it works fine in the Cooler months so we'll keep experimenting with it

Ok sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Going to try another new fuel pump and see if that does anything unfortunately the one in the truck is only about a year old

I know you can replace the fuel pressure regulator separately from the pump. It is mounted to the top.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok rhanks

Thanks

Dan, ASE Certified Technician