Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2005 3500 ram diesel starts in limp mode when started cold.

Customer Question

2005 3500 ram diesel starts in limp mode when started cold. Stop after 5-7 miles and turn off. Turn back on immediately and it restarts in 1st and shifts normally until the next cold start.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 11 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Before replacing any of these parts was the transmission controller scanned for codes? If so, can you post all codes retrieved here??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This has been going on so long that the original list has long since gone. The current code is P0973 which is no help as you know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not interested in phone call.

What is the make and model of the scanner that is being used to scan the vehicle?

P0973 is a "Generic" Code for "Solenoid A". Of course this is not much help for us. We need to have you scan the TCM with a compatible scanner that can retrieve the "Manufacturer Specific" Code for this concern. IF you can get this code retrieved, I'll be able to help you get this fixed. Since you already replaced the solenoid pack then I suspect a wiring issue or a internal failure of the PCM. Unfortunately this code will not help as you know...

At this time, my recommendation is to have it scanned with another scanner that can retrieve the manufacturer code that is stored.

Post it here and we can go from there....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert