Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

No start no spark no injector pulse

Customer Question

No start no spark no injector pulse
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you done any work to address this concern yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Changed cam and crank sensors, removed valve covers to confirm timing lines up.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when you first start to crank you will get on pulse of spark, then nothing same with injectors. coils and injectors are not etting a ground signal.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
should say one pulse of spark

I would definitely start with the auto shutdown relay. It should be clearly labeled as ASD relay in the underhood fuse box. This relay is responsible for providing power to all injectors and ignition coils simultaneously, then the computer provides ground side control for pulsing each. Swap it with another relay and see if your problem persists...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry i should have mentioned i already swapped the asd

Oh, no problem pal...great minds think alike :-). The next step would be to check for power on the injector harness and work backwards from there. Have you done this already?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have power on 1 wire at injector, on coil both wires have power when cranking i am not getting ground to either the injector or coil hence i am thinking the problem lies with the pcm

I would agree that with power on both harnesses and no ground signal that the problem would lie in the computer...the only issue is that it seems like there may be a secondary input that is causing it since they all utilize separate drivers inside the computer but none are working.

I know you said that you installed new cam and crank sensors...have you checked their wave patterns on an oscilloscope?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no i have not

If you have access to an oscilloscope it would be very useful to see if they are providing good consistent wave patterns to rule that out completely.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i dont have oscilloscope
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what else could cause both to not work

The only thing that can cause the problem you are describing is a bad pcm or a lack of signal from either the cam or crank sensors. See if you can borrow an oscilloscope to check it out

Check all the reference circuits from the pcm to make sure that you are getting all the proper references to the cam and crank; this can be done without an oscilloscope. Also, you may want to pull off at least the cam sensor and look at the camshaft sprocket and see if there is anything blocking its ability to read the tone wheel.