Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have A 2008 dodge ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7 liter

Customer Question
engine and A manual...
I have A 2008 dodge ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7 liter engine and A manual transmission. The serpentine belt broke and ripped off my ECM plug to the fan plug connector. I need to splice the wires to fix it. I have A Green wire, Brown wire, Brown/Pink stripe wire, Brown/Orange stripe wire, and A Orange/Yellow striped wire.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My fan plug connector has A Green wire in pin(1) Black wire in pin(2) White wire in pin(3) " NO WIRE IN PIN (4) " Orange wire in pin (5) and A Red wire in pin (6)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/21/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 1 year ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I'm not able to do a phone call right now but I can definitely help here by typing back and forth...

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Are all wires cut on the fan clutch connector? Is the connector still good or did you purchase a new one?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last 8 digits are 8G129422 and I have 120,000 miles on it. The ECM connector is completely cut off and missing but the fan clutch connector is still there. I am going to cut it off and splice and solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing.

At this point I HIGHLY recommend to not solder and heat shrink the wires. If you do this it will make it harder for future repairs pertaining to any time that the fan clutch would need to be removed.

The connector that is missing is available for purchase. The part number is ***** on the following pic --->> Click Here to view <<---

The connector can be purchased at your local dealer or ordered online. The above pic should have a pic of the connector and correct connector pinout. Let me know if your wire colors are different...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my wire colors are different.

Is the connector shape correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the connector looks the same and it is gray.

The wire colors you posted, are these colors on the fan clutch side of the connector or the engine harness side of the connector??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fan connector plug is (1) GREEN (2) BLACK (3) WHITE (4) NOT USED (5) ORANGE (6) RED The Engine harness side of the connector, is where the plug is missing and the five wires hanging there are solid brown, solid green, brown/pink, brown/orange, and orange/yellow

Ok, I think we almost have a match. On the wires that are hanging, can you double check the brown one, the green one and the Orange/Yellow one?

The brown/pink is a match to pin 1

The Brown/Orange is a match to pin 2

All wire colors on the harness side should have a main color and a stripe color,

The orange/yellow is almost a match so I'm thinking it is actually a Pink/Yellow wire which would be a match for cavity 6.

The factory wiring diagrams do NOT show the wire colors for the Fan Clutch side of the harness, so you would have to match them up accordingly to the chart I posted above.

Either way, the part number for the connector kit I posted above is correct and keep in mind that when you purchase the connector kit, the pigtail wires included will be of a generic color either way, Usually purple or orange.

Let me know about those wire colors in question and I'll help you connect them to the correct terminals...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By looking at the chart and guessing, I would try (1) BR/Pink, (2) BR/ORANGE, (3) GREEN, (5) Brown, (6) Pink/Yellow What will happen if I guess wrong. Will it damage the computer if they are connected wrong. cavity 6 would be A match if it were pink/yellow, but it is orange/yellow. One of the wires are brown/pink, the pink is A different color than the bright orange and yellow. This truck has A manual transmission so maybe the wires are A different color. What originally happened was the alternator pulley flew off of the alternator, I never did find it. When this happened the belt got mangled and shredded and it ripped the fan harness plug out. The truck runs fine, but the air conditioner only works when the truck is moving down the road.

It can cause a no start and possible damage to the ECM is wired incorrectly. Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can get some correct wiring diagrams to get this figured out?

Once I figure out your wire colors, I can figure out where they should go...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The last 8 of the VIN are 8G129422

Ok Here is the wiring diagram and the connector pin chart again, this time I blacked out the 5.9 stuff to avoid confusion. Wiring Diagrams for cummins has been known to be incorrect on the wire colors for many circuits. So we will have to do this by a process of elimination.

Wiring Diagram --->> Click Here to view <<---

Connector Pin Chart --->> Click Here to view <<---

Ok now on to the connections.

Pin 1 is going to be the Brown/Pink Wire

Pin 2 is going to be the Brown/Orange wire

The rest are going to need to be figured out by running some voltage tests using a multimeter with the key in the "Run" position.

One of those 3 wires is going to be the 12 volt supply. Whichever one that ends up being needs to be hooked up to cavity 6.

One of the two wires left is going to be the 5 volt supply, this is going to be hooked up to cavity 5. This should be the Pink/Yellow wire or as per your post Orange/Yellow.

The last wire is going to be hooked up to cavity 3.

Hopefully that will work but read below just in case..

You may find that these last two wires are both 5 volt circuits. at this time you may be able to figure out by looking at the wiring diagram for help with the colors, If that doesn't help, you have a 50/50 chance of getting those two right. Connect them to the remaining cavities and then try to start engine. If it runs, check for fault codes in the fan circuit. If no codes, you got it right, If codes present, swap the two wires and all should be ok...

let me know how it goes

Thank you,

Robert

Of course, if you are not buying a connector, it's up to you to translate all of the above to the wire colors on the Fan Clutch side of the connector...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** try it later today and let you know how it goes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I turned the key on and checked the voltage with A fluke meter, but I am not getting 12 volts on any of the five wires. We figured out pin 1 is Brown /Pink and pin 2 Brown /Orange they both read .007 volts and they do not fluctuate. I scrubbed the other three wires with engine degreaser and they do have A stripe on them. The colors are Brown/Grey , Green/Yellow , and Orange/Yellow. I am getting 4.98 volts on the Green/yellow and 4.99 volts on the Orange/yellow wire. But they do fluctuate A little from 4.96-4.99 volts. The brown/grey wire I am getting 2.96 volts. It also fluctuates from 2.94 to 2.96 volts.

Hello, Sorry for the delay..

Ok it is possible that the ECM doesn't send out the 12 volts until needed. At this point I would hook it up as follows and hope for the best....

1- brown/pink

2 - brown/orange

3 - green/yellow

5 - orange/yellow

6 - brown/grey

I was unable to find any diagrams that match the exact colors you have on your vehicle. If this doesn't work for you, you will have no choice but to disconnect the ECM C1 connector and find the correct wires by ohming the wires to the correct pins on the ECM and connect accordingly..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ordered the new connector Monday from the dodge agency and got it this morning and hooked it up the way you said and the truck starts but the fan does not lock when I have the A/C on. I brought the truck up to normal operating temperature.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I disconnect the ECM C1 connector and find the correct wires by ohming the wires to the correct pins on the ECM and then connect accordingly.

The ECM Cconnectors have a 4 or 5 mm allen head screw securing the connector to the ECM> Loosen this screw to disconnect the ECM Connector.

Also, keep in mind that the fan clutch may be bad. You will need to clear AL codes after hooking the fan clutch up then start and run the vehicle for at least 10 minutes using the a/c and rescan afterwards to see if any fan clutch related codes come up. If you still have fan clutch codes and everything is hooked up properly, the fan clutch is faulty and will need to be replaced...

Thank you,

Robert

Here is the connector pin charts for the ECM. These should work for you along with the wiring diagrams I posted above. They list the pin numbers also in the wiring diagrams.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Thank you,

Robert