Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2008 ram 1500. Intermittently will not crank. Battery,

Customer Question
starter and interconnecting wiring all...
2008 ram 1500. Intermittently will not crank. Battery, starter and interconnecting wiring all good. Solenoid engages but appears to drop out when the starter begins to turn
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Yes and yes this has happened several times over the past few days. It started after I had a hose leak at the waterpump and really badly steamed the engine bay
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Ok, are you trying to find me an answer
JA: No. I'm the Dodge Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: So what do I do next
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nnswered above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Should be all
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
8/20/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

it will not crank, so no engine spinning,

not the no start where engine spins but no start , correct ?

have you checked the starter and bench test it

did you check the area of the coolant leak at water pump ?

the crank shaft position sensor is in that area , did you inspect the connector for water in it and causing the intermittent no start?

have the ignition switch been checked ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not checked the crank positionsensor and as this ha been going on for a while all should be dry by now but a little more info. The steaming happened about a week ago. After new waterpump installed had a hard time to get it to start. Started fine the next 10-15 times then symtoms as above. Evetually started. Ok for the next 5-6 times then did it again. Now does it at random. Attempting to start she may not for 1-xx times then starts normal until next time.

have you had it scanned & where they any fault codes retrieved

key question, does it spin the motor when that happens, it will crank but want start ,is this what happens when it does it ?

or you cant even crank it over ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This has been being worked on by dealer with me trying to come up with ideas as they are at a loss. only once did it act up for them and the next turn of the key she started. No codes, starter replaced, battery tested, alienator tested, battaery conections and starter connections checked and cleaned. When this happens she will not turn over, the solenoid engages and it feels like the starter is attempting to rotate ( just a small torque feeling in the seat maybe nothing) With repeated tries and waiting intervals of various time she eventually with start normally with no dragging or other indications of a low battery
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where did you go

hey sorry my internet went down, i m back up sorry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so you're back up what now

i will open question back up for you for another expert to help you, sorry i cant help you in this one .

good luck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
S do I just wait or what
Jerry, Master Mechanic