sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2006 2500 sprinter front and rear air. push on the ac and

Customer Question

2006 2500 sprinter front and rear air. push on the ac and the red indicator light always indicates the switch is on but the compressor doesn't engage. BUT, if you jump through some hoops it is likely to work. Hoop>> AC off, start engine (dont rev), then push the ac button.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: There is no trouble code. It thinks it is engaged.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Dodge Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have looked for a magnetic clutch relay.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When it does engage, it never fails while running.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you've verified that the compressor is being commanded on with a scan tool then the problem is most likely the clutch coil, although it could be a wiring issue or the relay.

The first thing that needs to be done is test for power at the clutch coil connector using an incandescent test light at the time the compressor should be running but is not. Can you do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a scan tool that would tell me the clutch is be commanded on. I will check the power to the clutch when it should be engaged.
the AC works great when the compressor comes on.
Where is the clutch relay physically located?

You said that you had verified the clutch was being commanded on and that no fault codes were set. Neither of these were done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't say that. you just asked me to get on the clutch wire to see if it was indeed being powered. I got in there but i can't get the wire off of the back of the clutch. If i knew where the relay was i might be able to confirm the power there. If it is there, then i guess i will have to cut the clutch wire to test it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
again,where is the relay located?

Your first post said that no fault codes had set and that the compressor was being commanded on:

Customer: There is no trouble code. It thinks it is engaged.

The first step will be to see if the compressor has power or to actually get a scan tool on it to check for fault codes and look at data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There seems to be only one black wire going to the compressor. I will stick a spike through it and check the power.

Be sure to seal the wire afterward if you're going to pierce the wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will seal it with tape afterwards.
Why will you not tell me where the relay is?

Randomly disturbing components isn't helpful to the diagnostic process. It can mask issues that were there and would have been found during correct diagnostics, and it can create more issues that weren't initially present. It isn't helpful to actual diagnostics and creates extra work to start moving in random directions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cutting the wires, that's random. Checking the power at the relay is not random!

I would never recommend cutting a wire unless it was being replaced due to a break or high resistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our Mercedes code reader does not have a category for AC clutch command. I pierced the wire and it it was dead when it should have been on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
34;I would never recommend cutting a wire unless it was being replaced due to a break or high resistance".
that is exactly why i asked where the relay is.
Do you know where it is??? So far, you have have not offered any sprinter advice, just general trouble shooting which am quite good at. I work in a factory as a machinery trouble shooter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you don't know where the relay is, I want my money back and we are done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please answer! If you don't know, I need to seek the expertise of someone who does know. I am highly confident that a weak relay coil or contacts is the problem. I don't want to diss you but i need help to solve this problem. The next step is to see if the relay coil is energizing when commanded. If yes, the contacts are damaged. If no, the ecu is holding back the signal.

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon so I am not able to respond immediately.

Are you using a code reader or an actual scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the relay on the back of the dash control and it had a cracked solder joint. I re-flowed the solder and it is working. You would not or could not tell me where the relay was so I shouldn't have to pay you anything. I should be reimbursed on my credit card.

I was attempting to help diagnose the problem correctly and didn't hear back from you.

I'm not certain exactly what you did but if you soldered something on the control head then that indicated control head failure. It wasn't the compressor clutch relay.

If you would like a refund of your deposit you can do so from your screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
18 August 2016 12:05
Our Mercedes code reader does not have a category for AC clutch command. I pierced the wire and it it was dead when it should have been on.i said there is no power to the clutch (the supply was dead). Then I asked three times where the clutch relay was so i could trace the problem further back but you did not or could not tell me where the relay was. there was no helpful response to my telling you the clutch was not receiving power.

My last post was at 1:48 PM eastern time and I was awaiting a response from you to proceed.