Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. About 9 months ago in winter it

Customer Question

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. About 9 months ago in winter it started having trouble starting, especially in Park. Starter runs but it won't turn over for the first 10-20 attempts. Worked better in Neutral. The problem disappeared until 3-4 weeks ago. Now it's come back, and gotten worse. 2 days ago it added a new symptom, where it would start to turn over, sputter & die. Due to that behavior I just now replaced the crank position sensor, and the sputtering happens every time. I got it to start once, but not again. I put the old sensor back in and it's the same problem.
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: No
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Have you had this scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have an OBDII scanner & no codes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will check now though to see if anything came from the crank sensor swap.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Does your scanner have live data?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't think so, but I'll see in the options. I have 2 DTC's, both P0335, crankshaft position sensor a circuit malfunction
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Do you need the service procedure on how to diagnose that code from the factory service manual?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure? Whatever I need to get this thing running.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wait, why would I have to pay more?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you not have any things for me to try?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just started it up.... Kicked over, almost died, then went right to idle.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

I can send you the repair manual but its part of the premium service, which is $5 more.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Possible Causes

Possible Causes

(F855) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

(F855) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN

(F855) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

(K24) CKP SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

(K24) CKP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

(K24) CKP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED GROUND

(K24) CKP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (F855) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

(K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Since this code has so many possible causes you will need to go through the diagnostic steps in the service manual to diagnose. You will also need a multi meter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, I don't really think it's any of those. Right now it fires right up, no issue.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the original issue for the last 9 months has been not turning over well in park, much better in neutral.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This new symptom seems related.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

You need a scan tool that can access other systems besides the engine, the code reader you have will not give you a full picture of all the codes. You also need a scan tool that can read live data.

You could have a trans range sensor issue, you need a scan of the tcm to verify.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What scan tool do you recommend?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) communicates shift lever position to the TCM as a combination of open and closed switches. Each shift lever position has an assigned combination of switch states (open/closed) that the TCM receives from four sense circuits. The TCM interprets this information and determines the appropriate transmission gear position and shift schedule.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what affect would that have on the ignition system?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Because the WIN module (ignition) relies on info from the TCM they communicate on a CAN network.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

There is a flash update available at the dealer for this as well.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

There may be a flash available, I should not say is.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Depends on model, if its been done already etc..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, what do you suggest I do? I'm now putting back in the new crank sensor.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm hoping to avoid going to the dealer.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

WIN modules are a common problem, and will cause your symptom, but if you replace you still need the dealer to program the keys.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Tough to say with no codes, an all vehicle system code scan will verify your problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The reader I have won't show me all codes?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Only the engine codes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Read up on the WIN, seems like trouble there would be more drastic.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Looking at my reader, it is a CAN OBDII reader, it just doesn't read live data
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds like you're saying there's some other type of reader?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

There are code readers and scan tools. Code readers only read engine codes. Scan tools can read all systems other than engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't find anything called an "all vehicle system code scan", do you have a link to one so I can ell what the difference is? I have purchased a new OBDII diagnostic tool that reads all 5 ODBII protocols. I'll be able to look at that tonight.Here's how things went today:7:30AM: Took 10+ attempts to start the truck this morning. Each time it wouldn't fire at all. Drove 5 miles to where I work without incident.12:45PM: Fired first time. Drove ~1.5 miles and the engine started sputtering and cut off. 10+ attempts to get it started. This time it would fire, sputter & die. Finally it fired and idled smoothly. Then went about 200 yards & it did it again. 10+ attempts again to get started. Made it another mile and parked.1:15PM: Fired & sputtered on the first attempt & died. Second attempt fired right up. Drove ~2.5 miles back to the office without incident.My 12:45PM trip was to go pick up a cam position sensor, I have a new one of those and can put it in tonight. Fellow at the counter suggested I look for a bare wire causing an occasional short somewhere on that crank wiring. Going to call the dealer to see how much whole new wiring will be.Have any suggestions?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Ok let me know what codes you find when you get it scanned. Is the engine light on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

The all system code scan can only be done with certain high end scan tools, or the dealer scan tool. Your truck has over 40 modules that can store separate codes.