Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1996 dodge ram 1500 4wd starts idles then after driving,

Customer Question
stalls. Passed inspection last week...
1996 dodge ram 1500 4wd starts idles then after driving, stalls. Passed inspection last week. Restarts but then repeats stalling.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
8/15/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic

Hi there,

Is the check engine light on when it's running?
Also, when it stalls, does this happen when you are at a light or stop sign?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No check engine light. Yes usually upon stopping at lights or stop signs.

When it happens does it start right back up or does it take playing with the gas or anything to get it running?
Also, which engine do you have in it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Starts back up. Not sure how to tell what engine.

Ok

there should be a label on the inside of the hood or on the core support that tells what engine is on it.

I think you may have a problem with a part called the IAC. This is the idle control actuator. Basically it's a small electric motor on the throttle body that adjusts for the air fuel mixture at idle.

Sometimes they will get sticky and when that happens the motor can't adjust properly. This will cause the engine to stall. With this what you can do for testing is remove it from the throttle, then clean the IAC and throttle up with carb cleaner. Re install it and drive the truck. If the condition is better, then we know that was the problem and you can continue to drive the truck with the cleaned up IAC. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then we need to keep digging to try and locate other possible causes.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Hello again,

I haven't heard back from you so I thought I would touch base and see if you need further assistance?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic