Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

On Dodge truck the light load light started flashing. Why?

Customer Question

I just had the truck serviced. The engine light came on. They flushed the turbo and the truck ran well all day yesterday. I was using the engine brake, the light load light started flashing?
The brake fluid level is good and hasn't been changed to my knowledge. I do all regular maintenance as required.
I have a 2008 Dodge, 2500 3/4 ton. 4wheel drive 6.7 diesel.
I am hoping to find something simple that is affecting the engine light. The light load has never done the flashing like it is doing. Also I don't think the engine brake is working normally. The engine seems to be running very well.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question.
Is the check engine light coming on now after you had the turbo cleaned? If so, has it been scanned for codes? If not, The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.
As for the "light load" light. This light is for the tire pressure monitoring system. The most likely reason for it to be flashing is because someone pressed the light load button and the tires are not aired up to the light load range. To get this light to go off, fill all tires to the normal load tire pressure range (65 front and 80 rear) then press the light load button again to switch the TPMS system to normal load, after a bit of driving (10 to 30 minutes) the light should stop flashing. If it doesn't it means that there is something wrong with the TPMS system and it will need to be diagnosed at the dealer...
Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...
Thank you