Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Have a 1998 dodge 3500 van with code 1763.. i have every

Customer Question
Have a 1998 dodge 3500...
Have a 1998 dodge 3500 van with code 1763.. i have every solenoid and switch inside the transmission. And change the computer the overdrive light comes on then the temperature gauge light comes on and it will not shift out of second gear any suggestions
JA: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?
Customer: P1763
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've had a mechanic change everything out he doesn't know what else to do
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: He has no idea what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
8/11/2016
Dodge Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

What size engine do you have in your van?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
360
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The overdrive light comes on first then it goes to the transmission temperature light then the check engine light comes on.

let me see what I can find for you. Be right back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Have you replaced the internal wire harness inside the transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just change all the solenoids and switches

Is the pan back on the transmission now and full of fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah it drives fine for a few miles you drive it hard the lights come on faster

Does it have any other problems?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just that is the only thing wrong with it..

What I really need to know is what the governor pressure solenoid voltage is cold and after it warms up and starts to act up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will ask my mechanic tomorrow and get back with you anything else i need to ck with him ?

Ask him if he minds working with me to go over some tests to find out what is really going on. If he does not mind, I would be happy to work with him.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

You are very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have a # i can call when i get to my mechanic later he did change the wiring harness inside and a torque converter in the switches and the computer

We can set up a phone call through the site. I am not sure how much this is but I can find out for you. I know you can request a premium service and request a phone call from your end if you would like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you think of anything else i can have him ck and test for. And i will have him do that and let you know what's going on with it.

I really need to know what the voltage is cold and after it warms up for the governor solenoid is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the voltage supposed to be so he can check it. And its a 98 the solenoid is made on to the wiring harness comes new with it. Could it be the ck check valve not opening up

This should be an electrical problem. The voltage should be under 5 volts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its at 5 volts.

Is the voltage still 5 volts when the problem shows up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah

I'm not at my desk right now. Give me just a little bit to get back to my desk so I can look at a couple things up. If you have 5 volts before and after the problem comes up then it's going to be a computer issue I believe but I want to make sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has a new one on it

Did you replace the TCM as well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah still the same

Have you replaced the pressure sensor?

When the transmission should shift to 3rd gear, what does it do? Do you have 1st gear? Can you feel the 1-2 shift? Is it a harsh 1-2 shift?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything in side is new.

How about the way it shifts?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shifts fine till the lights come on
It just slips or will not shift out of first

So you have good take off power but no up shifts at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It b runs fine then yeah no up shift or lock up

But you have a strong first gear from a dead stop correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah at times it dosent. Say anything

Does it feel like it takes off in second gear?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No its 1st. You get up to speed
you can Coast and pick up speed but when you give it gas its at a rill ,

OK I am a little confused. Lets go back just a little bit and clear this up please. I asked,

Me

and your response was

Customer

Yeah at times it dosent. Say anything.

Can you clarify what you mean by this please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is then it will not shift up to 2nd.

Have you had them adjust the front band? If the front band servo is leaking pressure, or the band is burnt up then you will only have 1st gear. Once the computer sees that there is a problem with 2nd gear, it will set the codes you have and will not let the transmission even try to go to second gear. Have them adjust the front band and reset the computer and see how it drives. If it still does not have 2nd gear, have them replace the front band servo.

If they have to go into the trans to replace the servo, have them check the band and band straps as well. They will not have to drop the valve body to see the band and band straps at the servo, but they will have to pull it if they replace the servo to make sure the band is seated right and that the band straps are in place.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok im taking it to another mechanic

If the servo is leaking pressure, or the band is broken, misadjusted or a band strap has come loose, the gov, solenoid will max pressure trying to make the transmission shift to second. This is why the code keeps setting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i will get back with ya

Thank you.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech