Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I drive a 2000 dodge dakota 4.7 V8 with a manual

Customer Question

I drive a 2000 dodge dakota 4.7 V8 with a manual transmission. Engine codes p0300 0301 0308 p0441 and p0553 came on while a buddy was driving it. I was recently told by a mechanic that my IAC motor is going bad and might be starving the engine of air. Aside from the misfire codes, will any of those codes prevent me from driving my truck long distances, and what would be a common cause for these codes on the vehicle/engine I have.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello Keil, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Is the engine actually misfiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The idle is a bit rough but as far as actual misfires how would I go about diagnosing that?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the engine was misfiring you would actually feel it and in most cases the check engine light would flash. Is the check engine light flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light doesn't flash. And as far as feeling anything out of the ordinary the only thing I have noticed is a slightly rough idle
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The codes P0300 and P0301 and P0308 indicate the computer has seen an engine misfire on the #1 cylinder as well as the #8 cylinders. The common cause for the code P0441 to set is in most cases caused by a leaking Canister Purge Valve and if in fact that is the case it could cause the idle to be a bit lean and a little rough. That being said I would start with clearing all of these codes by disconnecting the negative battery cable and then drive the truck again and see which ones reset. As long as the check engine light is not flashing there is no harm in driving the truck a long distance. Let get the codes cleared first and see which if any reset and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just reset the engine codes and I will update you on the problem after I get off work today. If nothing comes back today I will go ahead and drive the truck to Washington for my vacation as I had planned on Friday, and will update again once I get access to a computer again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also you haven't said anything about the p0553 code. That is a power steering pressure sensor high input, however I saw something about it possibly being related to an IAC issue. Any insight as far as that goes?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The code P0505 is an IAC code and if your not getting this code then the IAC is fine. The code P0553 is not a valid Dodge fault code.